Pc won't boot :( Im a noob help me ! :D

Suspended
Well, i tried to turn on my pc the other day, the LED light came on when i pressed the power button, the drives spun, the dvd drive opened. But it didnt "post" any beeps. When i looked inside i could see a piece of metal looks like a heatsink labled "Asus" attached to my motherboard by *** looks to be two white pins. But one of these pins has broken off somehow and the heatsink is partially detatched.

Can someone please tell me whats wrong :)

Kind regards

Ben

Associate
hmmm sounds to me like its a heatsink on the northbridhe chip, in theory if that has come loose and that chip has over heated. wich means new motherboard.

how ever lets not rush into it do you know what motherboard you have ?????

Associate
If your heatsink is not attached properly then thats a major problem for your processor. The processor is either loose so the motherboard will not let the computer post, or the processor is overheating and not letting the system boot. If this has been like it for a while the processor may even be broken.

Edit: oops dont listen to me, as the above poster said, it looks like a northbridge heatsink.

Soldato
mmmm I dont think that wont POST, even if u run your cpu without any cooling it should be fine to post.

But anyways both northbridge/southbridge and CPU coolers are always removable/changable so I dont think thats the problem ? you can always try to fix with other pin/screw or replace em.

Soldato
Is this the board?
You mean to say the bit with ASUS on has come adrift?
It's only held on by push pins, and it sounds like one has popped out or broken.
Is the remainder or the pin itself in the case anywhere?
The pins go through your motherboard, and have a split end to hold them in like..

02.jpg

I wouldn't have thought that would have stopped it booting.

Suspended
OP
Is this the board?
You mean to say the bit with ASUS on has come adrift?
It's only held on by push pins, and it sounds like one has popped out or broken.
Is the remainder or the pin itself in the case anywhere?
The pins go through your motherboard, and have a split end to hold them in like..

I wouldn't have thought that would have stopped it booting.

EDIT! Yet another link to a competitor which im sorry about. The motherboard i have isn't on this site but if your G%@GLE "Asus M2N-E Sli" should get my board
Yes the piece with ASUS on it has come adrift.
I had the pin at one point, but then i sort of lost it and the spring :(
Yeah i unscrewed my motherboard and had a look on the other side to see how they worked.
If you don't think this is whats causing the problem, do you think it came off a while ago, and my motherboard has been slowly overheating and has now finally fried?

Regards

Last edited:
Associate
if that has been loose for a long time then in thoery you could be right it would slowly baking itself to death :( dont suupose you have another mobo you can try

Back
Top Bottom