pc won't boot

Soldato
Hi, I've just transported my pc back to uni and after connecting it up have found it won't boot! With the side off I can see that the CPU fan won't spin. I took it off and hooked it up to a power supply and the fan itself is physically fine, despite being very dusty. So, I guess the mobo is telling it to not start, or something, but I'm not sure why. The system fans start, the hard drive spins, the floppy drive charters but it never beeps. No signal is output to the screen and the keyboard doesn't light. It's an lga775 CPU and gigabyte ga-p31-ds3l board

Any ideas what it may be? Can only guess something came loose in transit but nothing visible. Thanks.

Associate
id just check if all the power connections are fully plugged in first both 24 and 4/8 pin power
then move on to the graphics card/ram make sure power connections and they haven't come loose

Soldato
OP
Cheers, I've popped out the cmos batt, had to take out the graphics to get at it anyhow! It reads only 1.4v anyhow so i guess its long since dead. Also redone the power headers and swapped out the cpu cooler with my housemates, his spinned but still not booting. Will put the battery back and try in a bit.

Soldato
OP
No luck having reseated the ram and trying to boot with the sound and wi-fi taken out :(

Any ideas? Is the flat cmos battery a big issue or is it just for the desktop clock?

Soldato
OP
Doubt this will help much, best I can really do with my phone and 3G! Sound and wi-fi still removed in this, few loose cables associated with sound card.

7yHr7.jpg

Soldato
OP
Also, I notice a jumper header (2 pins) labelled cmos clear. Should I try shorting these together? While the machine is off or when on?

Soldato
Time to build it outside the case with bare minimum installed to try and get it to post.

Have just the motherboard, PSU, one stick of RAM, and CPU/cooler installed and try see what happens. Use the onboard graphics. Take everything else out of the motherboard.

Soldato
OP
I took out 1 ram and nothing, but after swapping them over it boots with a wierd "dash dot dot" beeping sequence. It seems like its working, the hard drive is heard seeking and if I press power off it performs the shutdown sequence. However, no video output. I wish I had onboard graphics on this mobo :( connected usb keyboard does not light

Soldato
OP
The usb keyboard lights do work now actually. In fact it kind of seems like the pc may work but i cant see anything! Possible its the graphics card gone? The beep sequency maybe means its booted to BIOS because I reset the cmos?

Soldato
OP
I've reseated the CPU yesterday all looked ok around there but I need some new thermal paste I think. I'm going to pick up an external drive because for now the hdd seems ok and I can back it up by putting it in an old machine and transferring over. I'll also try to get hold of a gfx card to test that.

Soldato
OP
Looks like its the graphics card then. Put in the one I borrowed from a friend and its started up. Had to authorised Windows over the phone, I guess because I reset the cmos but my data is there. I'm copying it all onto the external drive for now, before I put the ram, sound and wi-fi back in. Surprisingly the guy in the highstreet store identified it'd be a graphics issue from me repeating the beep at him lol.

Back
Top Bottom