PC Won't Power.

Associate
Family PC. Working the previous day and stopped the next. Press the power button and nothing happens. PC looks to be getting power as the keyboard and mouse are lit up. Took out GPU as I could see a light and just to see if maybe the GPU had a problem, still nothing. The motherboard has a green light next to some text that says CPU, it's located at the bottom of the board and not up near the CPU itself. Can't remember if that was always on.

Soldato
Does the motherboard have on board iGPU, if so have you tried connecting the monitor to that output? What processor and motherboard do you have? Do any of the internal fans start to spin when you press the power button? Have you tried directly jumping the power button jumper on the motherboard (take the wire coming from the power button off the motherboard - remembering the way round it was orientated - and short it out with a screwdriver. Don't worry, you'll be fine with an insulated screwdriver handle. That rules out the power switch and cable from the case.

Associate
OP
Does the motherboard have on board iGPU, if so have you tried connecting the monitor to that output? What processor and motherboard do you have? Do any of the internal fans start to spin when you press the power button? Have you tried directly jumping the power button jumper on the motherboard (take the wire coming from the power button off the motherboard - remembering the way round it was orientated - and short it out with a screwdriver. Don't worry, you'll be fine with an insulated screwdriver handle. That rules out the power switch and cable from the case.
Alright, I was told elsewhere to reset the CMOS and it might work. I did this and the PC boots. It boots all the way to the users screen and you can log in and everything appears to be working. The PC has a Gryphon Z97 board. A ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060. 8GB ram. I believe a 1TB WD HDD. When the PC is boot I have three red lights flash/swap between each other and seem to disappear when the PC has fully booted, those lights I think if I am reading the manual right are for DRAM_LED, BOOT_DEVICE_LED, VGA_LED. Also I don't use the PC and it has been running for at least a year now but according to my sister the power button light use to be solid white and the light on the bottom of the case as well should be solid (Aesthetic part of the case), however they are flashing but not consistent flashing if that makes sense. No idea what's going on.

Soldato
Alright, I was told elsewhere to reset the CMOS and it might work. I did this and the PC boots. It boots all the way to the users screen and you can log in and everything appears to be working. The PC has a Gryphon Z97 board. A ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060. 8GB ram. I believe a 1TB WD HDD. When the PC is boot I have three red lights flash/swap between each other and seem to disappear when the PC has fully booted, those lights I think if I am reading the manual right are for DRAM_LED, BOOT_DEVICE_LED, VGA_LED. Also I don't use the PC and it has been running for at least a year now but according to my sister the power button light use to be solid white and the light on the bottom of the case as well should be solid (Aesthetic part of the case), however they are flashing but not consistent flashing if that makes sense. No idea what's going on.

There should be an option in the bios to make it a solid light, resetting cmos probably defaulted this.

Soldato
^^Agreed - load optimised defaults in the BIOS and assuming it boots set the ram to xmp in the BIOS too.

I've got a funny feeling this may be symptoms of impending hardware failure, hopefully I'm wrong :)

Back
Top Bottom