Pc wont restart issue?

Soldato
OK i have a water cooled pc thats been running fine until about 6 days ago.

Firstly i have removed all overclocks to make sure its not that.

I have -

gigabyte z370 gaming 7 Aorus
32 gb trident z ram 3200 (even not applied the xmp to test)
a few ssds and hdd
nvidia 1080ti founders edition (direct from nvidia 2 years old)
1200 watt platinum evga super nova PSU

So the issue is a weird one.
If i boot from a cold boot it boots fine straight into windows.
Then if i restart from within windows it does something very strange.
It shuts windows all down and returns to a black screen, but the display input is gone.
Then after a short while the screen shows a light to say its got an input but then that input after 3 or 4 seconds goes away again. (so far no noise from mobo) then the mobo will beep as if its booting but again it doesnt and the light on the screen is off.
Now if i hold in the power button on the case the machine turns off real quick.
Press the power button on again and the machine once again boots fine.

So i went back into the bios and turned on the onboard gpu, booted with this and not the nvidia card.
Restarted from windows and it worked several times as you would expect.

So am i wrong in thinking its either the PSU or GPU going wrong?

I have a spare 1000 watt psu in shed i could test with (i think) but im worried it may be gpu.....

please help, while i try and find the culprit.

thanks

Soldato
OP
hooked up an older seasonic 750 psu, system booted up on second attempt.
Restart gives same issues, stalls at the black screen. I get an error code b2 or 62 bot sure which it is, reading around could be gpu dying or psu, given that i have changed psu, i presume the news isnt good :(

Also on different screen and cables etc, even using the cables from the different psu.

I have the latest bios installed as well.

Soldato
OP
no way to test unfortunately, ive ordered a new gpu on the basis of i can then test if its that indeed being faulty.

I dont have fast boot enabled unfortunately so i cant test that :(

New gpu here monday and this is getting worse, sometimes now it wont even boot at all.

Soldato
New gpu here monday and this is getting worse, sometimes now it wont even boot at all.
I know that's ultimately a terminal development if it carries on getting worse but at least the fault is becoming more definitive.

You've at least had the chance to swap out the PSU, which was a major contender, and the GPU obviously being a close second. So, hopefully swapping out the GPU will see a conclusion to your problems or at least a significant improvement (the problem may have corrupted your BIOS/boot disk).

and this is getting worse, sometimes now it wont even boot at all
I would stop testing now - as you may inadvertently damage another component troubleshooting; from your description of the fault. There's certainly a chance of corrupting the boot drive...

Additionals:
  • Was the system reverted to stock (if clocked)?
  • Is there a BIOS update for GFX card (your problems - had they not got worse/reboot - would have been reminiscent of the 9/10 series DP cold boot issues)
  • I know it's daft - but have you checked all your leads going into the computer - both inside and out of the system (it's amazing how sometimes a couple of mm movement of a kettle lead, or SATA lead etc can resolve what seems to be a terminal issue
  • Also, have you tried a stripped down setup - with GPU in place?
Best of luck with GPU - hope it works out for you.

Soldato
OP
I know that's ultimately a terminal development if it carries on getting worse but at least the fault is becoming more definitive.

You've at least had the chance to swap out the PSU, which was a major contender, and the GPU obviously being a close second. So, hopefully swapping out the GPU will see a conclusion to your problems or at least a significant improvement (the problem may have corrupted your BIOS/boot disk).

I would stop testing now - as you may inadvertently damage another component troubleshooting; from your description of the fault. There's certainly a chance of corrupting the boot drive...

Additionals:
  • Was the system reverted to stock (if clocked)?
  • Is there a BIOS update for GFX card (your problems - had they not got worse/reboot - would have been reminiscent of the 9/10 series DP cold boot issues)
  • I know it's daft - but have you checked all your leads going into the computer - both inside and out of the system (it's amazing how sometimes a couple of mm movement of a kettle lead, or SATA lead etc can resolve what seems to be a terminal issue
  • Also, have you tried a stripped down setup - with GPU in place?
Best of luck with GPU - hope it works out for you.

Yes system was all set back to stock no overclocks at all
not sure about bios update for the gpu but mobo is up to date, mine was direct from nvidia
setup the system in kitchen using different monitor/leads/psu etc
The system works fine on the integrated gpu and all stripped down.

Thanks for help once again people :)

I have stopped testing for now and left it on so i can use it as is for now, hope it lasts until monday lol

Soldato
Sounds like you were pretty comprehensive with your troubleshooting and just needed to bounce ideas of members - rather than any direct help. It's a useful method - and you seem to have covered all significant bases given the problem.

I have stopped testing for now and left it on so i can use it as is for now, hope it lasts until monday lol
Good idea - and, again, best of luck for Monday. It will be interesting to know the outcome.

Soldato
OP
Ok have done clean install of the latest windows 10 and installed new gpu.

Problem still exists, while i was installing new gpu i suddenly realised another piece of the puzzle i had completely overlooked.
This is why i find it useful to bounce ideas around, my case has the option to install the gpu on its side using a riser cable.
Now i cant remember the exact version i bought as not looked into it yet but taking this out of the equation seems to have fixed the issue.

So now i have 2 gpus, 1 i will sell the other i will keep.

I have never used riser cables before and had as i say overlooked this item as being the culprit oops!

Soldato
I have never used riser cables before and had as i say overlooked this item as being the culprit oops!
Glad you resolved your issue - sorry to hear at the expense of a GPU (unless it's an unexpected fun upgrade).

And thanks for posting back with details. That's something i wouldn't have considered asking and as their use is becoming more and more common in builds it's a question that i/we need to start adding to our repertoire of default questions to ask.

Best of luck - hope things remain stable.

Soldato
OP
lol, trust me its a lot of monies to us and i was adamant i wouldnt buy one but the 2080 lack of vram compared with my current 1080ti was a deciding factor as im at 3440x1440 as well.

I had some spare credit somewhere and that was that.

Soldato
OP
just so everyone is aware, the riser cable in question was a Thermaltake TT Premium PCI-E 3.0 Extender – 600mm and was 1 and a half years old.

Its still in warranty so hoping to send it back as this thing was not cheap.

Back
Top Bottom