PC Won't Start Up

Soldato
I have the Wraith Spire cooler that comes stock with the Ryzen 5 2600. It doesn't have a foil on the bottom, but a thin layer of thermal paste. I wiped off the past on the CPU and put some thermal paste from Halnziye (thermal resistance of 255 centigrade). I've replaced cpus several times in the past, but never dealt with this, and never had a cooler before. Anyway, when I went into Win 10, I saw on Speccy that the cpu idles at mostly 80 degrees (I always talk centigrade). At most it went to 85 and occasionally went as low as 78. I was installing drivers etc, not watching videos or playing games. Is that okay?
no its not even close to ok
should idle approx 30--40c depending on ambient temperature
is the spire a push pin cooler?
not used air cooling in years so no idea if amd use push pins or not
ie its got 4 plastic pins you push down then twist
if so they are likely not properly engaged
either you just pushed down without twisting
or 1 or more wasnt properly through the hole when you twisted it

Soldato
I have the Wraith Spire cooler that comes stock with the Ryzen 5 2600. It doesn't have a foil on the bottom, but a thin layer of thermal paste. I wiped off the past on the CPU and put some thermal paste from Halnziye (thermal resistance of 255 centigrade). I've replaced cpus several times in the past, but never dealt with this, and never had a cooler before. Anyway, when I went into Win 10, I saw on Speccy that the cpu idles at mostly 80 degrees (I always talk centigrade). At most it went to 85 and occasionally went as low as 78. I was installing drivers etc, not watching videos or playing games. Is that okay?

idle temps are still far too high, the temps your seeing at idle should be under full load, what power plan have you got setup in windows?, could be worth a shot and set (amd) balanced or power saver modes and see if the cpu drops its temp.
bring up task manager and under the performance tab look at the cpu usage, normally it should be around 1-18% at idle so the cpu should be cool as its not being used, i suspect something is running in the background that is hammering the cpu at idle. You can click on the process tab, find the cpu column and click it, this will show which processes are using the cpu the most, try ending them and see if the cpu cools off.

did you clean install windows too?

Soldato
Right found a potential fix, the problem is speccy, it will report wrong temperatures for amd ryzen chips 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen all have the problem and the makers of speccy haven't fixed it (the offset can be as high as +50 degrees).
Can you download a program called core temp, make sure its the latest version and run it, this will give you the true cpu temperature at idle and under load.

Soldato
Right found a potential fix, the problem is speccy, it will report wrong temperatures for amd ryzen chips 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen all have the problem and the makers of speccy haven't fixed it (the offset can be as high as +50 degrees).
Can you download a program called core temp, make sure its the latest version and run it, this will give you the true cpu temperature at idle and under load.
Believe he checked in the bios when I mentioned it
And was 68c and still rising
That would rule out software inaccuracy
I think as even a poor cooler won't get that hot in bios

Associate
OP
I think Speccy was the problem. The temperature on Core Temp idles at around 40, has yet to exceed 55. Thanks to eveyone for all the help, I'm relieved to say the least!

Back
Top Bottom