Pci BNC plug?

Soldato
an electrician was at ours today to fit a security camera, i was at work. he told my mother that he connect it to a pc to record a months worth of footage, we just needed an old pc. he reckons all pcs have a bnc plug. is a bnc plug that round thing on old network cards :confused:

anyway. hes got the camera plugged into a tv at the mo, not recording. the conection is a standard yellow phono cable. so why does he need a bnc plug. and what the hell is he on about :confused:

Man of Honour
You did get BNC plugs on old coax cables which were used for networking but they can also supply TV input I believe. I've not seen a network card with one on for years, in fact I think it was back when 10mb PCI cards were fairly new.

I'd question the guy a bit further as I'm afraid I don't know enough about AV to directly comment. :)

Soldato
OP
semi-pro waster said:
You did get BNC plugs on old coax cables which were used for networking but they can also supply TV input I believe. I've not seen a network card with one on for years, in fact I think it was back when 10mb PCI cards were fairly new.

I'd question the guy a bit further as I'm afraid I don't know enough about AV to directly comment. :)

just spoke to him, basically the bnc is unnessacary. i need a video capture card but might just go for a cheapy dvd recorder. i presume, you can set different quality on them so i can record for a decent time.

Associate
As an amateur AV user who has worked on about a dozen different setups....

..all assumptions so far are true. Us IT people are going to think "oo - old BNC 10Base-2 ethernet.... nasty old daisy chained network system" (yes - it predates 10Mb/s and the nice RJ-45 connectors). This CCTV guy is not talking about that stuff.....

There are BNC terminated co-ax cables used for longer AV runs. I have seen old network cable used for this as it is basically the same stuff. (Network cable tends to be high quality). Often there is a converter used to swap a "phono" connection to a "BNC" connection for the length of the cable, then converted back again at the far end.

But all this is a distraction. If your guy has terminated his cable with a phono plug, then that is easy. You should be able to directly connect that to a "video in" on your PC. Yep - now you need a "video in" card of some form.

Don't worry if your "video in" card only has mini-DIN S-Video connectors as these can easily be converted with a small adaptor for a few quids from a electronics shop.

No - I can't advise on a decent brand for a Video In card. :)

Associate
pc would probably be best because itd be easier to search and easier to delete to a certain date/time etc, as said before would just need a video in card and a hard drive big enough to store a lot of video.

Back
Top Bottom