• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PCIe

Associate
I haven't upgraded my desktop for 5 or 6 years. Currently have a Gigabyte Z68X-UD3 motherboard with an i5-2500K and a Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC.

My ~10 year old Dell 2560x1600 LCD is on its way out so I bought a new Samsung U28E590DS 4K monitor.

However being the genius I am, I didn't think to check that my GTX 560 Ti is capable of 3840x2160 output - and it isn't. So now I need a new graphics card but my motherboard only has PCIe 2.0 slots and all current graphics card are 3.0.

Would a GTX 760 be a good choice bearing in mind that my main concern is 2D performance with a bit of Starcraft II (at 4K?) or Far Cry 4 thrown in for good measure?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Sure - I am aware that it will physically fit and that it will function.

I mean, would I be totally wasting my money buying a GTX 760 over a GTX 660 for example? Or will I get zero extra performance because both cards are choked off by PCIe 2.0?

Associate
OP
Thanks guys; that's exactly what I was looking for.

So what do you think would be a sensible graphics card upgrade to avoid being bottle necked too much by my ageing CPU/motherboard combo?

Associate
OP
Thanks guys - just picked up the following (used) card for £155 shipped.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4096 MB) (STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Sure - I am aware that it will physically fit and that it will function.

I mean, would I be totally wasting my money buying a GTX 760 over a GTX 660 for example? Or will I get zero extra performance because both cards are choked off by PCIe 2.0?

What are you using it for? Gaming or just lightweight stuff?

Whoops, Too late :D

Associate
You probably paid £25 more than you should have but it's all relative, if you're happy then it's a good investment :)

Funny thing is that that's never the response in these forums when people say they bought a Vega card. Would be nice if that was always the response from everyone :D

Back
Top Bottom