PCP and Equity.

Associate
Morning, I took a car on PCP 4 years ago and I hand it back in January. My plan is to exchange it. The set mileage was 8,000 per year (32,000 overall) but I have only put 10,000 on it in total. Is it likely that the car will be worth more than the balloon payment, giving me equity to put towards the next. I can Google but I prefer the answer to be black and white.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
You will have to forgive my ignorance with PCP. I'm now in the position of, in order to avoid the balloon payment been taken by direct debit (which I don't have) at the end of January, I have a deadline of today to state if I am to hand the car back, or find another car by Jan 28th - which may be difficult (not sure how smoothly that works).

What would you do? Would it be best to call telling them I am handing it back and still look for something, or risk it?

I only have an automatic license so my choices are more limited.

Thanks.

Soldato
Take out a personal loan for the balloon payment or take out / transfer from a money transfer credit card then decide what to do with the car in your own time

If you have c£1k more value in the car (even as a px) it would be rash to jump into something else quickly given its really quite a low balloon value

Man of Honour
Yep I would buy the car assuming you can get the £3.2k from somewhere and don't have any problems with it. You'd likely need to spend around ~£1500 extra to find an equivalent (low mileage auto Focus) car for sale.

Caporegime
Pretty much the reverse - and then some - of a friend of mine, took out a pcp on a 320d a few years back, budgeted for 32k miles over the term and it’s due to go back next February, due to a few somewhat major circumstance changes the car is currently nearing 120k miles.... :eek:

Soldato
Even your own bank will do it now, you can PCP through Halifax - I'm sure there is an age limit but I don't believe it needs to be new/nearly new

Soldato
Indeed , my mates ludicrously over miles 320d is an early 2014.
Luckily with PCP it doesn’t matter too much. If you go wildly over and end up in negative equity you can just hand it back - no penalties to pay (assuming you’be made 50%+ of the payments)

Caporegime
Luckily with PCP it doesn’t matter too much. If you go wildly over and end up in negative equity you can just hand it back - no penalties to pay (assuming you’be made 50%+ of the payments)
Are you sure the excess mileage charges aren’t still applicable? Doesn’t seem right?

Edit: seems that you don’t need to pay excess mileage, which is good, but it is worth pointing out that you need to have paid 50% of the total, not 50% of the payments.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I remember him banging on about not being bothered due to this which doesn’t seem right to me....

Are you sure the excess mileage charges aren’t still applicable? Doesn’t seem right?

Edit: seems that you don’t need to pay excess mileage, which is good, but it is worth pointing out that you need to have paid 50% of the total, not 50% of the payments.
I’ll have to ask him about this but I’d have thought after 4years he should be past half way?

Back
Top Bottom