PD 805 winging its way to me..

Associate
OP
Okay, a few more steps up the ladder....

Settings that havent changed:

Memory
Using a divider that keep sit below DDR2-533 Mhz, timings at SPD.

Locks:
PCI-E Locked at 100 Mhz
PCI locked at 33Mhz

Volts:
All at stock voltage so far.

So Far:
FSB 144 - 2.88Ghz - Stable - IDLE 38-40C LOAD 54C - No Throttle
FSB 155 - 3.10Ghz - Stable - IDLE 38-40C LOAD 58C - No Throttle
...and...
FSB 166 - 3.32Ghz - Stable - IDLE 38-40C LOAD 58C - No Throttle

** Bench at FSB 166 - Super Pi now down to 40 seconds, 20% improvement! **

Impressions: So far, so good, voltages have remained at stock and are not fluctuating, temperatures are remaining at normal, no issues with boots or BIOS. Everything going well so far.

The coolest thing about all this ? Even while Dual Priming this system is running extremely fast, extremely responsive!

Associate
OP
Just booted into windows at 180 FSB - 3.60Ghz!!!!

Idle Temp - 45C .. :)
Load Temp - 65/66C .... :/

Vcore - 1.3375 Volts

Hrmm, I might have gone 0.0125 or two too muc hwith the voltage may be able to knock it back down if things prove stable... I'm still in the early stages with this, but glad I've managed to reach 3.6Ghz so far :)

I am wondering if my thermal monitor is misreporting the temp however - PC Probe 2 ... any others out there that work with the Asus P5WD2 ?

The Stress Prime 2004 really is b**chin my system up to say the least to test it ...

Anyways, back to considering the next step...

Associate
Those temps are starting to get high, didnt someone say 70 was the maximum safe limit. Ive seen intel processors get to 85 before now and appear to run fine so who knows what the real max is.

Whats your case temp while thats going on, pi time now?

I use speedfan and MBM for temps

Last edited:
Associate
OP

This is getting a little weird now. This thing has run Prime stable for 1 hour now with no glitches or problems. Been browsing the web all this time and doing a little word processing.

However, PC Probe 2 is saying I have a loaded temp of 69/70C on the CPU, and this is confirmed by Speedfan which is saying 69/58C for each of the cores.

I've taken the side of the case off, and had a good feel around. Plenty of air flow coming into and out of the case. I have a Stilverstone FM 121 pulling in cold air and its doing a good job of it.

The Big Typhoon, although warm, is not burning hot. I felt around the fins, the heatpipes, and the copper base - warm yes, but not burning hot. I ve tried pushing the BT down incase I've installed it wrong and its not making proper contact, but the temps didn't budge. This is leading me to believe its doings its job properly. AS5 was applied as instructed on the website.

Case/MB temperature seems ok for what I'm doing - 35-37C.....

Rightmark is not showing any signs of real throttling, so the CPU seems to be thinking its ok...

Could the temp sensor report be wrong ?
According to CPUZ its a Winbond W83627EHF.

Now that I've killed off Dual priming, and let is rest back to idle, I have IDLE temps of 45/46C.

Benchmark at 3.6Ghz: Super Pi - 37.4s !

Associate
Theres no way that a big typhoon would be having temps like that, and as its not a bracket instalation I cant really see how you could have installed it wrong, which leads me to believe the temp sensor has to be reporting incorrectly. What bios are you running?

Associate
Mmm something odd going on there for you..

My identicle CPU on an Abit AL8 is running at :-

CPU 49degC
System 27degC

@3.7Ghz

On stock cooling and 100% folding load.

Associate
Im betting its an old bios, I have just had a look at the Asus site and for the P5WD2 there was a new bios that came out in April 06 which adds new cpu support, might be worth downloading as the 805 is a relatively new cpu and maybe it cant read the temps correctly from it.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5WD2

Edit: They also have updated versions of PC Probe on there, it could be that the one on the Driver CD may be outdated.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Agr3sive said:
Theres no way that a big typhoon would be having temps like that, and as its not a bracket instalation I cant really see how you could have installed it wrong, which leads me to believe the temp sensor has to be reporting incorrectly. What bios are you running?

Im running with the latest BIOS Update to properly recognise the Pentium D 805.
Bios Ver: 0501

The previous BIOS version was released before the 805 was released...

Admittedly, I haven't updated the PC Probe (which reports a single 69/70C), but then Speed fan was reporting 69/70C on one core and 58C on the other.

I'm gonna nip out on Dinner back to the shop where I picked up the Big T, and check out the other ones to see if there is any issue between mine and the other ones they have.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Question: Would an extra 120mm fan blowing at the copper base of the BigT help improve it ? Or is this going to interfere with the Heatpipe system ?

I'm thinking of the following:

1) Download the latest PC Probe and double check my temperatures... if the same then:

2) Remove the BigT, replace the Stock Fan with my SilverStone at full pelt. If the missus gets annoyed with the noise, I'll tell her I need the cash for some watercooling. :D

3) Remount the Big Typhoon, take my time over it and make sure its secure on the chip.

4) Mount the original 120mm fan into the front of the case, and then use the spare BigT fan to cool the copper base of the BigT.

Get it back in the case and get it tested again.

Also, need a suggestion for removing AS5.. don't have any TIM Clean available at present.

Associate
Something is defiantly wrong with the temps, I wouldnt imagine replacing the fan would sort it out as when I had a BT on a Intel at 1.675volts it never went over 40c.

I would say that updating the PC Probe should be your first bet, I dont know what the software is like but if its anything like Abits Uguru then it takes over the sensors and interfers with speedfan and motherboard monitor.

Also I just use a tissue to remove AS5, does the job for me

Associate
OP
Agr3sive said:
Something is defiantly wrong with the temps, I wouldnt imagine replacing the fan would sort it out as when I had a BT on a Intel at 1.675volts it never went over 40c.

I would say that updating the PC Probe should be your first bet, I dont know what the software is like but if its anything like Abits Uguru then it takes over the sensors and interfers with speedfan and motherboard monitor.

Also I just use a tissue to remove AS5, does the job for me
Which chip did you have the BigT on ?

Associate
OP
Ok back at home, time to burn this sucker some more.

I've just booted into windows, and exited the PC Probe I have installed.

Run Speedfan, let the temps stabilize, and this is what I have:

Temp1: 31C
Temp2: 41C
Temp3: 17C

If I run PC Probe now, they are the same. Hrmm. I've d/l the latest PC PRobe 2, still the same (pretty sure its the same proggy, actually).

Although the software is telling me the same, I'm not 100% convinced. 1) is that the temperature 'twitches' a lot when loading stuff by upto 5C before settling back down again and 2) I've read a lot of reports about the P5WD* range having temperature reporting issues.

I'm going to run a few tests and see if I can deduce anything further.

Last edited:
Soldato
BigDom said:
Mmm something odd going on there for you..

My identicle CPU on an Abit AL8 is running at :-

CPU 49degC
System 27degC

@3.7Ghz

On stock cooling and 100% folding load.

Care to share your uGuru settings? Mine is stuck at 3.5GHz - everything is at stock apart from the FSB.

Back
Top Bottom