PDA phone or Smartphone

Associate
I need a phone that has very good contact management and can deal with documents as well. Must be able to deal with Word, Excel & ideally powerpoint and PDF. New or used which is the best tool for the job.

Smaller the better must have bluetooth as a minimum for connectivity and I prefer some kind of keyboard

Which phone would you suggest as the best option for syncing with Outlook for the contacts, diary and todo then?

I want something to replace my diary Idealy able to use for documents also but not essential.

Any ideas or real user advice.

my vario 2 arrived yesterday, that comes with mobile excel/word/powerpoint and a PDF program :)

i'm really impressed with this phone so far, just waiting for the xda developer peeps to get the onboard gps chip working - then it will be perfect for me

Prettu much and decent PDA these days is going to have phone functionality, so its going to be a smart phone any way.

IMHO though to be honest, I still think two seperate devices are the way forwards. It gives you a connected PDA/Smart phone for work related activites, and a normal phone for your personal stuff. This way, you only ever have to carry the PDA if your going to work, otherwise it can stay home.

The best ones going at the moment ate (with keyboards)
MDA Vario II/Orange M3100 HTC TyTN (all the same device)
O2 XDA Exec/MDA PRO/i-mate JasJar (great but a little long in the tooth)

Cheers guys, that gives me a few to look at.

I am actually wondering if a smaller smartphone might be of more use for the Outlook syncing and I could just rely on my lappie for the serious docs etc.

spaceman said:
i'm really impressed with this phone so far, just waiting for the xda developer peeps to get the onboard gps chip working - then it will be perfect for me

Erm... Have I been living under a rock?

Since when did the Vario II feature an integrated GPS?

Could you post a link for some more info?

have a butchers on the xda-developers forum mate, it's got the same gps chip onboard as another pda that they recently managed to activate :)

think it was only discovered last month, theres a big thread about it in the hermes section

teaboy5 said:
Palm Tero 750v. Use one my self and think its great, comes with a full k/b which is handy.

looked at one of these today, very very impressed. Good feature set, handy size and decent keyboard considering the size, easy one handed use.

Think I've decided.

Thanks for the advice people.

spaceman said:
have a butchers on the xda-developers forum mate, it's got the same gps chip onboard as another pda that they recently managed to activate :)

think it was only discovered last month, theres a big thread about it in the hermes section

Nice thread. :)

Thats very interesting, bout the Vario II - makes the decision between the N95 (minus the camera) and the Vario II a bit harder if the GPS can be activated.

Variou also has the advantage of being more available than the N95....especially for when I'm lookin to upgrade....hmmm

You may find that a QVGA display is too limiting for a spreadsheet.
I prefer a VGA display (like on my Qtek 9000) for s/s work, but my Qtek is too big for dialy use and has been mothballed. I currnetly tolerate the QVGA dispaly on my A701 but I certainly don't use s/s as much as I used to.

PDA phones can be very useful one moment and then absolutely irritating.

ESPEACIALLY when it comes to making calls.

If you make a lot of calls I think a smart phone is your best bet, PDA phones can really get on your **** in that area

But they do have so many functions. I've got an Eten X500 which has every connectivity I'd need and also GPS. So its a very useful device, has MS office, pdf reader etc.
Also use it as an mp3 player with a wireless bluetooth headset.

Personally I'm gonna stick with PDA phones

I just got the Samsung i320 and im absolutely blown away with it. Full Qwerty keyboard, Windows Mobile 5 for smartphones, so thin its a joke, thinner than my k750i by a margin, barely wider and a tiny bit longer.
I have had a XDA exec and a Treo before, but this is something else. The closest thing to a "normal" phone with all the functionality of a PDA and a Qwerty keyboard to boot.

Pictar:

live139.jpg

Love it so far :)

Run 2 XDA Exec's *one WM5 and one WM6* and an MDA Vairo II here.

Will be trialing an XDA Orbit soon. Our software should be able to talk to the GPS hardware and do some funky vehicle tracking and active re-routing soon. :D

My job is to test it, so several days out on the road just being routed to different places on the go. As my laptop is the only machine with the new software installed on it i'll just happen to be rerouted via good places to eat and nice things to see. ;)

Simon/~Flibster

speedyj said:
looked at one of these today, very very impressed. Good feature set, handy size and decent keyboard considering the size, easy one handed use.

Think I've decided.

Thanks for the advice people.

Just note that doesn't come with wireless, but has 3g so i find its not needed.

Also if u really want wireless, a small sd card does the job, and it just slots in

Back
Top Bottom