• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Peak temps ok?

Soldato
Hey guys,

just played a game of BFV to see how my system performs..

I was getting around mid 60's for CPU temp..and around 78-79c for GPu temp with lowish fan speed..should I change the fan curve? Or is the 70's ok for GPU temps??

Cheers.

Associate
Hey guys,

just played a game of BFV to see how my system performs..

I was getting around mid 60's for CPU temp..and around 78-79c for GPu temp with lowish fan speed..should I change the fan curve? Or is the 70's ok for GPU temps??

Cheers.
70 is about average I believe for a warm summers day. I wouldn’t want to go much higher that’s that for long periods of time. Just crank it a little higher if you can put up with the noise but if not it should be fine

Associate
I wouldn't like to run over 80°c consistently but it's supposed to be safe, 70s are fine and what I often saw on my 980 Ti when running an overclock.

Depending on the card the potential issue is clock speed throttling, for instance my 1080 Ti starts out at 2036 MHz then eases off to 2012 (which is what I aimed for but even with a custom clock/voltage curve it won't settle there straight off) when the temps increase. If I run the fans at 100% it stays at 2036. In this instance it's a small difference but at higher temps a steeper fall off could be seen.

If you are concerned about that just monitor clocks with MSI Afterburner or another similar tool.

Soldato
The card is effectively aiming for 83°C is it not? i.e. GPU Boost is always going to boost the core clock if it's below that temperature. Personally I'm happier somewhere like 70-75 on air cooling but below 80 is certainly safe.

Associate
The card is effectively aiming for 83°C is it not? i.e. GPU Boost is always going to boost the core clock if it's below that temperature.

That I didn't know. I think what I'm seeing in my system is something different in that case as the card drops speed slightly once the card hits about 65°c, and it isn't true throttling (usually levels out at 68-70°c).

Soldato
That I didn't know. I think what I'm seeing in my system is something different in that case as the card drops speed slightly once the card hits about 65°c, and it isn't true throttling (usually levels out at 68-70°c).
That does sound correct - there are varying scales of boost based on temperature. So the lower the temperature the higher it will try to boost. Also with some main steps at each decade (80, 70, 60 etc).

Basically the lower the temperature the better, but find a balance. Even under water cooling it's hard to keep to the highest boost possible.

Associate
That does sound correct - there are varying scales of boost based on temperature. So the lower the temperature the higher it will try to boost. Also with some main steps at each decade (80, 70, 60 etc).

Interesting, thanks for the info. My current balance is very quiet so I may push the fans and curve a little harder and see where I end up.

Back
Top Bottom