Peer pressure

Soldato
Hey,

I thought at University I'd be past all that peer pressure to smoke and do drugs but apparently not. On a night out I do drink, but not enough to get so smashed out of my face that I don't remember what happened the night before.

My question to you is; Is there peer pressure at University to drink excessively? How many of you drink just because your friends will comment about it if you don't?

I've been getting a fair amount of flak about my drinking habits from my new flatmates. They seem to think I'm weird because I don't drink myself silly. I do drink but I'm sensible. My idea of a good night isn't one you can't remember. I think I actually had less pressure to drink when I was 16 when I didn't drink at than I receive now!

Soldato
OP
I might have given the wrong impression here. I will definitely not give in to "peer pressure". I moved out so I could do my own thing, not just what they thought was normal. I just found it weird how people of my age and older can think harassing someone to do something they don't want to do is ok. I thought they would have accepted someone's decision by this age. I can understand questioning why someone never comes out of their room but I've been the want asking them to come on nights out!

Remember he has to live with these people. Being rude to them will only make the situation worse.

That's the problem sometimes. The other day was the worst. I had to carry a female flatmate home because she was so out of it and kept falling over. Once we got home they carried on screaming and shouting and I wasn't in the mood so I went to bed. The same girl decided to start kicking my door, shouting abuse because I wasn't in the living room drinking. I would have given her a mouth full but I have to live with them for another 8 months. I need some of them on my side.

To be fair, they're ok people and I get on with them. It's just when they've had a drink they start getting annoying.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm not sure if you're speaking about first years or not,

Third years. One of them is 24. Luckily after having a word with one of them he's starting to back me up and keep them off my back.

Hopefully they'll leave it once they realise their attempts are pointless.

Back
Top Bottom