Penalty charge. Should I appeal?

Associate
When I was driving, the vehicle ahead of me indicated right and stopped to park in a space that was going to become available. Rather than stopping behind the car I over took it be manoeuvring to the left into a bus lane and returned back in lane. The cars being be made tge same manoeuvre as I did.
I received a pcn for entering the bus lane. I appealed stating that I only entered the lane to overtake. The council upheld their decision.
Should I refuse to pay and ask for a decision to be made by an independent arbitrator?
I feel fed-up and may just pay the £65 discounted fine.

Associate
OP
It seemed common sense to simply overtake.
The council said I should have waited.
Surely an independent arbitrator will see sense

Associate
OP
Next time hold up traffic and don’t get a fine. These councils are becoming extremely ruthless. Stick to speed limits as well and at the end of the day Sid it don’t do what you think is right just obstacles he Council’s laws.
Point taken. I am usually very careful. First pcn I have had in over 10 years. Never had points on my licence.

Associate
OP
I would fight it, if everyone was to contest all these ridiculous tickets then they would need to do something about being realistic with fines.
I know people that contest everything and they actually do win most of the time but it’s a risk and you could affectively double or triple the fine amount if you loose.
What means more to you the principle or the money
Sadly, at this moment in time the money mean more to me.

Associate
OP
As you say, it is the principle - stay out of bus lanes - AT ALL TIMES.
This is rather disturbing. In the past I am sure I have entered the bus lane to allow an ambulance to go past. In future should I not enter the bus lane when the restriction applies even if it means not allowing an emergency service to pass me with its blue light and siren operating

Associate
OP
I'm feeling a bit wobbly.
I had to enter the bus lane to manoeuvre away from a car (idiot) who entered my lane to overtake a bus. He was doing in excess of 30 mph. It was either I move out the way or stay put to discover the consequences of my action.

Associate
OP
its not there to help reduce your insurance each year, its there to protect you

my last accident, a van pulled out at me on a roundabout, he was lying , he was saying a different road and i went into the back of him
dashcam proved otherwise ;)
I see, point taken.
I drive less than 4000 miles per year so I suppose I escape issues such as yours.

Back
Top Bottom