Pension fund performance - do you monitor yours, how is it doing, do you actively change it?

Soldato
OP
10% in UK when we're under 4% of global market cap (IIRC) suggests you're pretty optimistic that we won't continue to stagnate. Hope you're right! :)

The reason is that I keep seeing information suggesting the UK is undervalued and the US overvalued. That's the primary reason I'm thinking to overweight the UK.

Secondary reason is that it's the home market. Most default pension funds overweight the home market considerably and I'm not sure the reason for it but if there is a reason then it could be valid.

Soldato
VHVG Developed World has tanked hard the past few weeks since grabbing a chunk. I should not really check and let it be and top-up whilst it getting lower.

Annoyingly my Global All Cap which made steady gains has lost a bit but not as much which is playing on my mind.

Mind keeps saying stick to one and merge them and let them be but having dropped different % I am looking at the markers if bought them same time then both would have tanked more or less the same.
my developed world and emerging market has dropped.. while my default plan has gone up.. lol...
Here's to buying cheaper shares in the market trackers for the next few months..

Soldato
VHVG Developed World has tanked hard the past few weeks since grabbing a chunk. I should not really check and let it be and top-up whilst it getting lower.

Annoyingly my Global All Cap which made steady gains has lost a bit but not as much which is playing on my mind.

Mind keeps saying stick to one and merge them and let them be but having dropped different % I am looking at the markers if bought them same time then both would have tanked more or less the same.
Tanked hard? Its down 3% from its all time high :cry:

Associate
Tanked hard? Its down 3% from its all time high :cry:

A little bit of an exaggeration but yes it has to come down a little from the highs. I just need to stop checking and assuming the worst with all the red. I should know from past experience it will go up but for some reason checking more with Vanguard platform than I did with others.

Saying that Vanguard are coming out with a new app and have it out for testing. I should stay away from installing on my phone.

If you want domestic but want a nod to ROW consider a FTSE100 tracker. As its the top 100 listed in the UK a significant portion of the revenue comes from ROW anyway. How much? see below.
It has the advantage that its in GBP so you have no direct exchange risk in future.
Part of the gain in some like US has been the impact of a devalued £. If the £ recovers then the value of the foreign investment drops (in GBP). (this is part of the gamble you take, is the £ going to worsen or improve over next 5-whatever years)

Eg "Over four-fifths of the sales of FTSE 100 constituents now come from outside the UK."

Last edited:
Soldato
The reason is that I keep seeing information suggesting the UK is undervalued and the US overvalued. That's the primary reason I'm thinking to overweight the UK.

Secondary reason is that it's the home market. Most default pension funds overweight the home market considerably and I'm not sure the reason for it but if there is a reason then it could be valid.
Fair enough. I’m keenly aware that growth in the US is due to a very small number of companies so I’m not worried at all.

We all do our own research and take our own gambles. I just can’t see the UK doing very well anytime soon. Nobody wants to list here and I don’t see a Labour government being hugely pro-business.

UK at least has reliable dividends. Good luck :)

Last edited:
Associate
A little bit of an exaggeration but yes it has to come down a little from the highs. I just need to stop checking and assuming the worst with all the red. I should know from past experience it will go up but for some reason checking more with Vanguard platform than I did with others.

Saying that Vanguard are coming out with a new app and have it out for testing. I should stay away from installing on my phone.
I check the value of my SIPP like 3x a day. It's totally unhelpful and I never make any changes based on it. I admire people who can just look at it once a quarter or year!

Soldato
I check the value of my SIPP like 3x a day. It's totally unhelpful and I never make any changes based on it. I admire people who can just look at it once a quarter or year!
It’s fine while the market is going up but a terrible idea when there is volatility :D

Saying that I’ve completely changed my mindset in recent years so if I see a sudden dip I’ll use it to make extra ad hoc contributions rather than panic about it.

Soldato

In my opinion apps just enable people to log in and make stupid decisions during a downturn.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I hardly looked at it for 10 years before making my first fund changes 3 years ago. Clearly that was a mistake because of the poor fund choices.

I then got interested in it for a while making some changes before leaving it alone again until now.

So I think that's ok, once I've completed these changes I'll probably move on to something else and not check it regularly like I am at the moment.

Soldato
I hardly looked at it for 10 years before making my first fund changes 3 years ago. Clearly that was a mistake because of the poor fund choices.

I then got interested in it for a while making some changes before leaving it alone again until now.

So I think that's ok, once I've completed these changes I'll probably move on to something else and not check it regularly like I am at the moment.
Once you are happy that you have made the right choices then yes, that is the right thing to do. I'm not that far away from moving mine into drawdown so am being a bit more proactive.

Soldato
Hi all, I’m looking to start a new job soon which means another new pension pot. I know of at least 3 pension pots but I may have up to 5 scattered around. (The 2 I’m unsure about were from my job as shop floor staff at Asda and my internship while I was in university)

How can I find out if the 2 I am unsure about actually exists?

When consolidating pensions pots what are the key criteria I should be looking at? I’m assuming fees and the ROI are important is there anything else I should consider?

Any other general advice?

Soldato

The difference between the markets is that the US has a majority of growth stocks, where the company re-invested their profits in themselves and the prices per share is expected to go up. The majority of the UK market are divided stocks where they give their profits to the share holders, when that happen their share price will be readjusted lower for the dividend payout.

In the ideal world the uk stock price will recover or get higher than their price before the adjustment before the next dividend payout. So the value remains the same but what you have is cash from the dividends which you can reinvest in the same or different company.

Soldato

Because those funds think UK people want UK stocks. Define undervalued anyway. UK stocks that make up the large indices are old school oilers, banks, financial services with a smattering of telecoms and lame ducks like VOD. Its 'cheap' because of what it contains rather than anything else in my eyes.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Define undervalued anyway.
Some price to earnings measures? That's what Ive seen the YT channels talk about but haven't fully researched it myself.

The difference between the markets is that the US has a majority of growth stocks, where the company re-invested their profits in themselves and the prices per share is expected to go up. The majority of the UK market are divided stocks where they give their profits to the share holders, when that happen their share price will be readjusted lower for the dividend payout.

In the ideal world the uk stock price will recover or get higher than their price before the adjustment before the next dividend payout. So the value remains the same but what you have is cash from the dividends which you can reinvest in the same or different company.
Makes sense but if you're invested in UK stocks which give dividends that should come through in the fund returns as well? In my case doesn't that just get reinvested in the same fund?

Back
Top Bottom