Pension stuff

Soldato
I started at 27 and had to put in 20pc in total.
Ran some calculations. If I don't I won't have enough.
A lot of people are in for a shock later in life
Out of interest what did use as your rate of return on your investments? I've been using 7% as an average across the life of my pension but when I've checked on the actuals recent years have been around 14%! On the calculations I've done the ROI is the biggest driver, after about 12/15 years of paying in your returns should start to overtake your contributions. It's surprising just how much of a difference 1% on ROI makes as well, it may even mean being able to retire several years earlier.

Soldato
Does anyone know of a standardised form, or template, for claiming higher rate tax back on pension contributions? I dont do a self-assessment, and all the gov.uk site says is you must let HMRC know, so they can work out the sum they owe. But they don't even say what information is required. Any pointers?

I have a standard letter that my accountant gave me, and I've used it to claim back 4 years. Send me a Trust if you want a copy.

Soldato
Out of interest what did use as your rate of return on your investments? I've been using 7% as an average across the life of my pension but when I've checked on the actuals recent years have been around 14%! On the calculations I've done the ROI is the biggest driver, after about 12/15 years of paying in your returns should start to overtake your contributions. It's surprising just how much of a difference 1% on ROI makes as well, it may even mean being able to retire several years earlier.

You need to take the average over a longer period of time to take into account recessions.

Caporegime

What ever was default was. It was just one of those generic calcs. I'd guess at 3pc. But have no idea what returns on pensions are roughly

Back
Top Bottom