People paying more for used?!?!

Associate
Iv been watching 2 pairs of wharfedale diamond 220s on Ebay. 1 pair sold for £125 used, the other £104.

But the thing is, richer sounds has them for £100 bramd spanking new !

Am I missing something here? Or are people just too lazy to do research and shop about?

Soldato
Doesn't surprise me. I've often seen various things on there with a price quite a bit more than you'd pay buying from a retailer. I thought, good luck selling any at that price; only to find some had been sold when looking at the listing.

Associate
OP
Yup. Which is what makes ebay, the vast majority of time, a waste of time.

Numpties buying things and not realising their worth.

I can see your point now after seeing these speakers sell for more than the retail price. I used to compare prices to Ebay as that was normally the go to place for used prices, but now... that's all changed

Doesn't surprise me. I've often seen various things on there with a price quite a bit more than you'd pay buying from a retailer. I thought, good luck selling any at that price; only to find some had been sold when looking at the listing.

One of the sets was on a buy it now for £80, I messaged the seller asking if he could do them any cheaper as they was new at £100. He removed the listing and relisted on a auction. Which sold for the £125. Crackers, just crackers

Soldato
Haha. I think the trouble with some people's mentality is that they won't buy something at a 'buy it now' price, because they don't want to pay that. If it's a bidding auction they'll start bidding if the price is low enough. Price goes up and up, then someone ends up paying more than what you could buy for 'buy it now' or new elsewhere.

Of course; you could say that the bidders going over what the BiN price was, weren't looking to buy the speakers or any item when it was BiN auction only. Bit of a coincedence though that as soon as the item goes to bid auction, you get people who are willing to bid more than what the BiN price was; people that would have bought the item at the BiN price.

Associate
OP
Haha. I think the trouble with some people's mentality is that they won't buy something at a 'buy it now' price, because they don't want to pay that. If it's a bidding auction they'll start bidding if the price is low enough. Price goes up and up, then someone ends up paying more than what you could buy for 'buy it now' or new elsewhere.

Of course; you could say that the bidders going over what the BiN price was, weren't looking to buy the speakers or any item when it was BiN auction only. Bit of a coincedence though that as soon as the item goes to bid auction, you get people who are willing to bid more than what the BiN price was; people that would have bought the item at the BiN price.

Maybe it's a "like **** your going to beat me" sort of situation, people dont like been beat I guess lol

Soldato
That is true. I'm certain there are also people who bid to inflate the price to make others pay more, even though they don't want it, have no intention of winning and know there are others who will outbid them anyway. Wouldn't surprise me, if someone has tried that, and won, by accident. :p

Soldato
Can't remember the last time I even went on eBay, let alone bought anything on there!

If you are selling them you get bombarded with stupid offers from scammers and if you are buying there is always 50 people who bid in the last 2 seconds and drive the price ridiculously high!

Apps like Shpock and Preloved are getting just as bad - you list an item for lets say £50 and some complete spanner will offer you £3.50!

It really doesn't surprise me that people pay over the odds - you've got to be at least a little bit dim to use it in the first place!

Associate
Maybe it's a "like **** your going to beat me" sort of situation, people dont like been beat I guess lol
This is true I’ve done it a few times myself. Log in and see there’s only a few seconds or a minute left then quickly jump in to try out bid them. Then figure out you paid nearly new price for it. Took a few times to learn!

Soldato
While on the subject; another thing that some crafy sellers do, is to put the item cheap, but have an over inflated postage cost, knowing that some people look only at the item price and not what the postage might cost. I'm sure there is more than a few people who are dumb enough to think all sellers on eBay provide free post.

Man of Honour
Just to play Devil's Advocate and give the alternative view......

1) Diamond 220 speakers aren't £99 new everywhere. There are a few retailers still listing at £179, or close to the launch rrp of £199

2) Diamond 220 were available in three finishes: Black, walnut, white. AFAICT, the £99 deal is limited to just black, and by the look of it from just one retailer who has bought up the remaining stock on an end-of-range deal. If you want another colour option then you're going to pay a premium, and there are lots of Ebay 'Buy-it-now' listings in the £199 - £279 range, so that distorts buyer's perception

3) The Diamond 11.1 takes over from the Diamond 220, but it's £280/pr and that that price it faces stiffer competition

My advice to any would-be purchasers is to grab the deal at £99. It's cheap.... Really cheap. Yes, if you wait around long enough then some cheaper used examples might become available. Maybe you'll save another £20 or £30 on something used. My view is that at the £99 for a new pair with warranty then would I trade the hassle of a private sale and no warranty plus the risk of shipping for the cost of a couple of big pizzas and some beer. The answer is no. Life's too short. Get the £99 deal and move on with the project.

Associate
OP
Just to play Devil's Advocate and give the alternative view......

1) Diamond 220 speakers aren't £99 new everywhere. There are a few retailers still listing at £179, or close to the launch rrp of £199

2) Diamond 220 were available in three finishes: Black, walnut, white. AFAICT, the £99 deal is limited to just black, and by the look of it from just one retailer who has bought up the remaining stock on an end-of-range deal. If you want another colour option then you're going to pay a premium, and there are lots of Ebay 'Buy-it-now' listings in the £199 - £279 range, so that distorts buyer's perception

3) The Diamond 11.1 takes over from the Diamond 220, but it's £280/pr and that that price it faces stiffer competition

My advice to any would-be purchasers is to grab the deal at £99. It's cheap.... Really cheap. Yes, if you wait around long enough then some cheaper used examples might become available. Maybe you'll save another £20 or £30 on something used. My view is that at the £99 for a new pair with warranty then would I trade the hassle of a private sale and no warranty plus the risk of shipping for the cost of a couple of big pizzas and some beer. The answer is no. Life's too short. Get the £99 deal and move on with the project.

I totally get what you mean, better finishes cost more etc and if someone has just done a simple Google search and its only brought up the higher value ones then I can see why they went for so much.

I have already ordered the 220s at £99 :)

Soldato
Yes you're missing that people have been doing this for many years on ebay...

Yep I can vouch for that. Remember when DVD Drives were first introduced. Well I bought a batch of brand new 1x speed drives dirt cheap off someone who didnt really know what they were and at the time wasnt sure what to do with them so kept them then 2x/3x drives came out and they were retailing for £125 so I thought I might as well try and sell the drives I had so I thought I had advertised them at £50 each on the bay but I actually put £150 didnt realise and they started selling really quick which took me by surprise I was selling 5-10 a day checked my account couldnt understand all the money until I realised I had advertised them wrong. Sold the lot made a few thousand pounds yet faster drives still in stock online for £125 in several places! Had other things doing the same down the years.

Caporegime
Iv been watching 2 pairs of wharfedale diamond 220s on Ebay. 1 pair sold for £125 used, the other £104.

But the thing is, richer sounds has them for £100 bramd spanking new !

Am I missing something here? Or are people just too lazy to do research and shop about?

There is a camera Lens brand new £120 in currys. Selling for £90-£100 used on ebay and 2-3 of thems elling for that price every week.

People that buy on ebay are auction addicts and they don't know or care what the real price is if you shop around online.

it seems to be certain products though. i've tried to sell a few things and they go for buttons in comparison. other times they have sold for a lot more than what i would have taken.

there is a guy on ebay i noticed who has simply taken a screenshot of a shop advertising rare trainers added 15% markup onto their price and re-listed on ebay. so if someone buys off him, he simply orders from the original website and gets them to ship to the buyers address on ebay.

so he's doing nothing and morons are paying 15% more than they would had they just bought from the place he's screenshotted. he has over 2000 sales too.

i've noticed stuff selling on ebay for more than what it is on amazon too and people lapping them up.

Back
Top Bottom