perfect laptop for linux (best wireless card under linux)

Soldato
Hi,

I am giving serious consideration to buying a UMPC, but want to run linux, not windows.

My main excuse to buy one is to download silently at night, as my desktop is a loud beast.

Can any one recommend one big or small that has super support for its wireless card under linux.

Im also after a remote for what ever laptop. Are there remotes about that work under linux and can power up and off the lappy?

Associate
erm, if u only want it to download then why not buy a router you can flash something like tomato on. its a linux on a router allowin you to download files with just a ext HDD pluged in.

Soldato
OP
think im looking at the levano 3000 N200, apprently it works out of the box in ubuntu, except for the thumb reader, but found a guide for that.

Might go the second hand macbook route though

Associate
If you're just wanting a cheap laptop (not 'ultra-portable') for Linux, and aren't worried about OSX I'd avoid the MacBook, you can buy a new laptop with a much better spec a lot cheaper than you'd even get a 2nd hand MacBook.

I recently bought for a Vostro 1500 (15.4" 1440x900, T7250, 3GB RAM, 8600M GT, 250GB HDD, 6+9 cell batteries) new for £500 everything I tried works out of the box under Ubuntu 8.04 (ethernet, wireless, audio, all my usb drives, bluetooth, card reader, media buttons) only thing it doesn't have is a remote but you can pick up linux compatible bluetooth remotes for around £20. It's also very quiet even while under heavy load, I'm very fussy about noise but it doesn't bother me at all if I leave it on overnight, even whilst rendering.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you're just wanting a cheap laptop (not 'ultra-portable') for Linux, and aren't worried about OSX I'd avoid the MacBook, you can buy a new laptop with a much better spec a lot cheaper than you'd even get a 2nd hand MacBook.

I recently bought for a Vostro 1500 (15.4" 1440x900, T7250, 3GB RAM, 8600M GT, 250GB HDD, 6+9 cell batteries) new for £500 everything I tried works out of the box under Ubuntu 8.04 (ethernet, wireless, audio, all my usb drives, bluetooth, card reader, media buttons) only thing it doesn't have is a remote but you can pick up linux compatible bluetooth remotes for around £20. It's also very quiet even while under heavy load, I'm very fussy about noise but it doesn't bother me at all if I leave it on overnight, even whilst rendering.

would you happen to know what these blutooth remotes are called?

Associate
Sorry, I got that wrong I didn't mean bluetooth ones... haven't used mine for a while so I forgot what it was :p.

I was using a ATI Remote Wonder which operate via RF / USB Receiver. They go for ~£15 and work well under Ubuntu (and probably most other distros)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom