Performance / noise 120mm fans

Soldato
Hi guys,

I'm getting my case ready for my mnew Ryzen build which kicks off on Saturday and I think I should probably be replacing my fans... two of them are over 6 years old and starting to creak a bit!

The fans will be controlled manually but what's the fan of choice at the moment? Specifically, I like my fans to be quiet but efficient when I need them - for gaming/video etc.

Something balanced :cool:

Suggestions?

Associate
Hi guys,

I'm getting my case ready for my mnew Ryzen build which kicks off on Saturday and I think I should probably be replacing my fans... two of them are over 6 years old and starting to creak a bit!

The fans will be controlled manually but what's the fan of choice at the moment? Specifically, I like my fans to be quiet but efficient when I need them - for gaming/video etc.

Something balanced :cool:

Suggestions?
Definitely the Arctic P12's / P14's. Shame they're out of stock on Overclockers :(

Associate
If you are not after the lowest possible noise produced for specific performance on 120mm fans, then I would agree with the others above me on the Arctic P12 being what you'll most likely be after.

If you are after the very best for noise and performance, then it'll be the Noctua A12x25s. But note that these particular fans aren't cheap and most kick a fuss over it precisely over the pricing. But you do get what you pay for.

Associate
If you are after the very best for noise and performance, then it'll be the Noctua A12x25s. But note that these particular fans aren't cheap and most kick a fuss over it precisely over the pricing. But you do get what you pay for.

You don't actually. There is very little in terms of performance between the two fans

Soldato
If you want cheap, get the Arctics.
If you want solid build quality and slightly better performance, get the Noctuas.

If you're happy changing the fans for different tasks, there are plenty of better options.

Associate
You don't actually. There is very little in terms of performance between the two fans

I think you're being a little disingenuous there. :) Even in your own post you have written that there's very little between them, and not "no difference".

Noise, the performance at each Noise level, and what type of Noise made, vibration/humming(droning), and overall quality (You hear a lot more of people who got the P12's about needing to exchange them because of inherent faults in the units obtained or units that appear to have noise issues at particular uses, compared to hearing about users of the A12x25 experiencing the same need to getting an RMA/swap/etc), the A12x25 does have a slight advantage over the P12.

I happen to have two rigs fitted exclusively with one makers fans right now (all Noctua A12x25 or all P12), separated by a distance of around 3-4 meters. And when I turn on the fans to max on both units and sit between them, the sound of the fans going at full whack, happen to be much more noticable on the rig being cooled by Arctic fans. Not only that, there's a minor "droning" sound as well, a motor type of sound that's clearly audible coming in and out (oscillating every half a second) from it. And this is also compared to the Noctua cooled rig that also has twice as many fans going full whack at the same time, which also sounds like the air being pushed and without the oscillating motor/droning sound of the Arctic rig.

Now, is this (agreeably) "very" small difference (for most people) worth the extra dough? (It's 5 x P12's for price of 1 x A12x25 after all)

In most cases, no, it's not. Most people aren't after such extremes of performance and noise and indeed, they most likely can't hear the difference. However, more often than not, if your ears can detect that difference, and if you are happy to pay the price for the best, it will be the A12x25s over the P12. :)

Associate
I sit right next to my computer and I have 8 P12s running around 950rpm and the only thing I hear is the PSU fan and pump. paying 5x the price for no perceivable difference in loudness/performance is plain stupid.

Soldato
I sit right next to my computer and I have 8 P12s running around 950rpm and the only thing I hear is the PSU fan and pump.
I sit right next to my computer and have, at various times, had nine-fan sets from Enermax, Akasa, Scythe, Noctua, Corsair, EKWB, Corsair, Nidec, Noctua and Corsair.
EVERY fan I ever had was silent below 1000rpm.

Associate
Just received a set of P12 and P14's, PWM version. But you should be able to pick up the non PWM version easier and cheaper.
Great fans and worth the hype. Except one came broken (snapped). Shipping issue I suspect.

Don
But note that these particular fans aren't cheap and most kick a fuss over it precisely over the pricing.
Less of an issue maybe if you are buying 1 or 2 fans e.g. for a Cooler - when you are replacing all of your case fans (normally at least 4) the difference is huge.

4x P12 - £24
4x Noctua A12x25 - £120

Almost £100 is the difference between a 6 core and 8 core Ryzen, or a RTX2070 rather than an RTX2060 - I'd rather spend it on actual tangible performance rather than a 0.1db or whatever difference.

But you do get what you pay for.
Except you really don't. How much of the extra £24 actually contributes to a better quality fan?

Some of the markup is for stuff that most people won't use anyway?
Low noise adapter (not needed when controlled by motherboards)
Extension cable (again not normally needed - assuming the fan's cable isn't deliberately short to begin with?)
Y adapter (The Arctic PST Fan's have this anyway)
anti-vibration gasket
anti-vibration noodle mounts

The Noctua Redux fans are a step in the right direction,(just the fan, none of the nonsense) but that assumes that you can get a like for like model (e.g. the A12x25 isn't available)

Soldato
Almost £100 is the difference between a 6 core and 8 core Ryzen, or a RTX2070 rather than an RTX2060 - I'd rather spend it on actual tangible performance rather than a 0.1db or whatever difference.

Or a noise dampened case for those with spiderman hearing.

Soldato
Extension cable (again not normally needed - assuming the fan's cable isn't deliberately short to begin with?)
Y adapter (The Arctic PST Fan's have this anyway)
anti-vibration gasket
anti-vibration noodle mounts
I'm using all of ^these right now, from my original Noctua fans. One of the main reasons is that the ones from other brands just aren't as nice/good.
I have a fairly large case, so the extensions are necessary for tidy routing, and the anti-vibe is an issue particular to just one rear panel fan mount, but still necessary.

They're maybe not £100 worth of kit, but when I bought those fans they were the absolute best noise/performance options, bar none. The build quality alone is half the cost and I've not heard of any Noctuas arriving broken. There's at least a dozen such complaints for the Arctics just on the rainforest alone.

Associate
Less of an issue maybe if you are buying 1 or 2 fans e.g. for a Cooler - when you are replacing all of your case fans (normally at least 4) the difference is huge.

4x P12 - £24
4x Noctua A12x25 - £120

One mans treasure and all that, is really all I have to say over that. :)

But I do get what you're saying, only I'm also saying it's not as simple as a 0.1db difference for the noise/performance involved. And for those who do want the very best from their fans (least noise for specific performance), I stick by the A12x25 over the P12 if the absolute best is wanted.

Except you really don't. How much of the extra £24 actually contributes to a better quality fan?

No idea to be honest, although I do use the extras provided with the Noctua's in both rigs, although most are in the Noctua rig.

Back to the point, the postulation was that there's "No difference," or any difference to be "imperceivable" between the fans.

Non-scientific personal tests (using a poor mans sound meter app on phone, distance of 30cm from front of case):

Room
Middle of Night, no city noise (no lights :cool: no ticking clock :( or a blasted Helicopter... :mad:, or propella plane overhead! :mad::mad::mad:)
15.4 minimum, 19.3 maximum, 17.3 average (I'd be REALLY surprised if a mobile can reach these actual numbers, but I kept the distance and location the same for each case when measuring so it's just a matter of incrementing or decreasing the amount for all numbers and you can then compare all comparable numbers to each other)

---

Noctua rig at 300-600rpm (which I use normally, the Arctic rig doesn't have an equivalent of this speed at this time until my Octo arrives and I move my Quadro over)
15.7 minimum, 20.4 maximum, 18.0 average

Noctua rig at ~850rpm
16.1 minimum, 23.8 maximum, 18.2 average

Noctua rig at ~1200rpm
20.2 minimum, 27.7 maximum, 23.8 average

Noctua rig at ~1800rpm
27.5 minimum, 34.3 maximum, 30.8 average

---

Arctic rig at 850rpm (which I use normally)
18.5 minimum, 25.6 maximum, 21.4 average

Arctic rig at ~1200rpm
22.3 minimum, 27.6 maximum, 25.0 average

Arctic rig at ~1800rpm
30.0 minimum, 36.8 maximum, 33.4 average

And whilst very close to each other, and definitely imperceivable at low rpms (also 1db to 3db is hard to people to tell apart normally from what I've read), once you start ramping up to 1100rpm+, due to the tonal change of the P12 (It has an oscillating/drone/resonance type of sound here at higher rpms, as well as the overall db increase), it makes it stand out a lot more than what the 1-3db difference is (the Noctua only has the air whoosh sound). Plus there's only half the number of Arctic fans in the Arctic rig (4) compared to the Noctua (10+) in these readings (not sure it makes a difference, but putting it out there).

So from that, logically, I have to say that the Noctua A12x25 is the better fan there between them, not by loads, but there is a noticable difference as I had said. And you don't need Superman or Spiderman hearing to notice it, and that's why I continue to say that you get what you pay for there (if you do have a need for them and go for them).

Back
Top Bottom