Perhaps not such a simple choice.

Associate
Hi all...
So i have a question for you all, more of a quandry....
I have been using the same monitor for a good 5 or so years and i have started getting light bleeding round the panel and it's just a bit tired... so i thought i would upgrade it...
I thought this would be simple enough by going and buying a 27 inch IPS monitor. Not so simple it would appear.
The team in my office (gamers and engineers) have told me i would be better getting a VA panel as IPS is tending to give greys instead of blacks...

Then i thought.... Rather than getting something completely colour accurate would i not be better getting one of the most popular types of screen?

I mean sure it's great that i can view and edit the picture to be totally accurate on my 50 inch fully colour calibrated 50billion to 1 contrast, 400%SRGB screen but if someone looks at it on their iphone it will look completely different? (not that i have that screen, just an eg)

What would people recomend?
I very rarely print my images and they are mostly hosted online in a compressed format or sent to the client in full res jpeg.

Soldato
It's quite wrong to think that you'd have to endure 'greys' on an IPS monitor... it's really not that bad. You will still see it very much as black, it's only side by side with VA that you'd see a more contrast rich and punchy image. IPS is more colour accurate, but VA gets pretty close for the most part, but depends on the monitor in question... some are better than others. It doesn't seem like you NEED colour accuracy though, so IPS is by no means a necessity. The other issue with VA however is the black smearing/overshoot in gaming which almost all monitors will exhibit to some degree or another. Everyone tends to have different levels of intensity to this though, so how bad you will find this is impossible to say... and it's also very much game dependent. IPS panels will suffer glow/bleed more than VA, but there's a lot of variation here from screen to screen.

Unfortunately, it's pretty much a case of pick your poison with a monitor purchase these days.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply.
I very seldom game and it's a majority of my time working on photography and general workstation loads.
I think i might have to keep my eyes open for some VA panels and get the best bang for the buck rather than pining over panel type.

Back
Top Bottom