Petition about Android security updates

Associate
I'm still on 5.1.1. The phone i wouldn't consider old, and in fact it's still doing the job okay, a bit slow on maps but otherwise sound.

Spending money for a new phone merely for security is annoying. I guess just signing out and not using such apps is a good call.

But in defence of Google *shudders*, they do list end of life for Chromebooks. And for £200/300 even £400 maybe, is okay for 5/6yrs. But my phone ended security ages ago and was 3yrs max for a phone on sale at £150.

I think they need to be at minimum transparent about end of life, like Microsoft are.

Soldato
Have you got any personal experience of this 'slowing down until it's unusable'?

And Samsung phones are legendary for becoming slower with age.
Never owned one & I doubt I ever will! It was more of a reference to the legal case that was settled earlier this month, where Apple were accused of deliberately slowing phones down. I do have a Samsung phone though so hopefully you're not right about that :p

Permabanned
OP
Just wonder if anyone has any further thoughts on this in light of the covid app coming soon. I've been reading the comments from the Isle of Wight people who installed the app today, and a lot of the discussion is from people who's devices are not supported.

Associate
Just wonder if anyone has any further thoughts on this in light of the covid app coming soon. I've been reading the comments from the Isle of Wight people who installed the app today, and a lot of the discussion is from people who's devices are not supported.
I heard it was a Bluetooth issue,nothing to do with android, they actually mentioned iPhones in the report I read

Associate

About that covid 19 app. they really have not thought it out properly. what about people who like me only go out to get food ect. and work in retail at a supermarket. we are not allowed to have our mobiles on us. that is the time where i could possibly come into contact with people. when i go shopping it would not be a prob as i have my phone on me. so for some people it is kinda pointless.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
we are not allowed to have our mobiles on us.
I actually emailed the human rights committee about that exact issue earlier this week. I don't expect a reply, but at least they'll consider perhaps telling employers they can't do that. I wondered if it violates your human rights (health+life), I think it does, although the declaration of human rights wording is open to interpretation.

Associate
I actually emailed the human rights committee about that exact issue earlier this week. I don't expect a reply, but at least they'll consider perhaps telling employers they can't do that. I wondered if it violates your human rights (health+life), I think it does, although the declaration of human rights wording is open to interpretation.

In supermarkets its mainly due to security for one reason. and another to stop people endlessly talking or using social media. imagine queuing up to pay for your shopping and the person on that till is using his/her phone making you wait while they finish on the phone. Also photos is another reason.

Back
Top Bottom