Petition to the government to not implement offences for modifying vehicles

Soldato
Which is fine.

Just make the proposals specifically state that then rather than the very generic "everything" currently proposed.
We live in a country that is incapable of stopping thousands of motor bikes with non-road legal sports exhausts taking to the road every day, why do people suddenly think the powers that be will find time to catch all the remapped pcp a series Mercs?!?!

Soldato
wait what, auto speed limiters? So you can't blip it to get round a moron or get out of danger when some idiot fails to lane merge properly? I'd be dead now if that had been active in my dad's car. It was accelerating out of trouble that saved our lives...

All this auto restriction crap - there is a skill to driving. Cosset and restrict and people stop paying attention. I'd argue it's a greater danger to encourage auto braking assist etc, and I want it deactivated if I got a car with it, especially if it was too aggressive. Would that put me foul of this law? Ditto auto handbrakes. Give me a manual one and let me decide and control my biting point and revs thank you.

Soldato
wait what, auto speed limiters? So you can't blip it to get round a moron or get out of danger when some idiot fails to lane merge properly? I'd be dead now if that had been active in my dad's car. It was accelerating out of trouble that saved our lives...

All this auto restriction crap - there is a skill to driving. Cosset and restrict and people stop paying attention. I'd argue it's a greater danger to encourage auto braking assist etc, and I want it deactivated if I got a car with it, especially if it was too aggressive. Would that put me foul of this law? Ditto auto handbrakes. Give me a manual one and let me decide and control my biting point and revs thank you.
It’s not going to be a throttle limiter. It’s a light, audible signal or possibly resistance on the accelerator that will tell you the limit is being exceeded. You can still exceed it if needed.

Don

Whilst I'm not for the idea of everything being limited or automated, this unfortunately sounds like a you problem.

I'd suggest learning to drive more defensively and then you wouldn't end up in situations that require you to accelerate out of trouble.

Soldato
We live in a country that is incapable of stopping thousands of motor bikes with non-road legal sports exhausts taking to the road every day, why do people suddenly think the powers that be will find time to catch all the remapped pcp a series Mercs?!?!
as said - manufacturers are becoming liable too - so if they find multiple examples of cars that have a mod - big fine - loss of money concentrates the mind,
look how much dieselgate cost, or penalties for missing fleet electrification %

doc to scan https://modales-project.eu/wp-conte...LES_D2.3-Legal-situation-of-tampering_WEB.pdf

Soldato
as said - manufacturers are becoming liable too - so if they find multiple examples of cars that have a mod - big fine - loss of money concentrates the mind,
look how much dieselgate cost, or penalties for missing fleet electrification %

doc to scan https://modales-project.eu/wp-conte...LES_D2.3-Legal-situation-of-tampering_WEB.pdf
Diesel gate cost VW very little in the UK it doesn’t even seem to have dampened sales in any meaningful way. The UK authorities do not have the time, will or funding to pursue people driving modded cars on a significant scale otherwise the roads wouldn’t be full of illegally modified cars and bikes already!

Soldato
Having modded cars and built them in the past I also wouldn't want to completely stop this and would suggest an extension of the current DVLA vehicle inspection setup.

Won't happen due to bureaucracy, complication and cost so yeah a blanket ban is much easier to implement.

I've not modified my EV myself but it's received two 5% power increases via OTA updates since release which will make future modding even more interesting.

Man of Honour
These new rules are very concerning and the cynical person in me thinks they are deliberately aimed at getting older cars off the road. While they are being introduced with headlines to stop anti social changes to a vehicle the impact might well be far wider than that. Car manufacturers don't make spare parts for cars forever. Owners of older cars sometimes have to rely on aftermarket parts such as exhausts, not for performance or noise, but to simply keep the car on the road.

For example it's impossible to get a new exhaust for my 1994 Corrado. It has a Miltek exhaust because I simply can't get an OEM one. What happens when these new regulations are brought in? Will I suddenly have to scrap the car? As I said, the cynical part of me looks at this and thinks this is being introduced to stop people keeping older ICE cars when the ban on new ICE is introduced in 2030.

EDIT: The cynical side of me also thinks this was why E10 petrool was introduced.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s not going to be a throttle limiter. It’s a light, audible signal or possibly resistance on the accelerator that will tell you the limit is being exceeded. You can still exceed it if needed.
For now. I would expect that to change in future. It would make perfect sense to limit cars to whatever speed limit they are in at some point...

Soldato
These new rules are very concerning and the cynical person in me thinks they are deliberately aimed at getting older cars off the road. While they are being introduced with headlines to stop anti social changes to a vehicle the impact might well be far wider than that. Car manufacturers don't make spare parts for cars forever. Owners of older cars sometimes have to rely on aftermarket parts such as exhausts, not for performance or noise, but to simply keep the car on the road.

For example it's impossible to get a new exhaust for my 1994 Corrado. It has a Miltek exhaust because I simply can't get an OEM one. What happens when these new regulations are brought in? Will I suddenly have to scrap the car? As I said, the cynical part of me looks at this and thinks this is being introduced to stop people keeping older ICE cars when the ban on new ICE is introduced in 2030.

EDIT: The cynical side of me also thinks this was why E10 petrool was introduced.
This is something a few classic car clubs etc have raised. It's impossible to maintain some cars. Their intention of stopping autonomous features from being messed with is perfectly reasonable and I'm all up for it. But it this law should not apply to cars that don't have any of those features. Sadly the issue is that their proposal covers all tinkering not just those specific bits. I don't really know how this will go or who will enforce it but I can see it being painful..for me modifying cars is part of ownership and a massive hobby for me so if they make it illegal it'll be a huge hit.

Soldato
for classic cars they can mandate more strict mot single type qualification (especially emissions) - it's several hundred pounds though
on importing a bmw from europe BMW were initially proposing a very expensive type certifiction form - eventually managed to circumvent though

Diesel gate cost VW very little in the UK it doesn’t even seem to have dampened sales in any meaningful way.
the shareholders probably wouldn't want it repeated though.

On the speedo front - no need to really force limit , they are increasing the time duration for mandatory telematics, usually used for crash analysis ,
so the police could consult your cars log if there was some consequence to speeding - big brother

Soldato
This reads like it's targeting people removing safety or emissions stuff. Probably clocking cars as well as that is considered "tampering". Not tuning related things.

Basically it will be illigal to disable sign reading and speed limiters lol. Which is stupid because they get false readings constantly and pick up the speed signs for side roads.

Even if they targeting tuning and aftermarket parts it's impossible to enforce. Are the police going to go round with manufacturer diagnostic tools and Haynes manuals? I'll be running my current cars as long as I can. I don't like all the nannies and spyware in modern cars so much. Even mechanics don't always know what parts should be on a car or not, especially rare/classic stuff.

Last edited:
Caporegime
for classic cars they can mandate more strict mot single type qualification (especially emissions) - it's several hundred pounds though
on importing a bmw from europe BMW were initially proposing a very expensive type certifiction form - eventually managed to circumvent though

the shareholders probably wouldn't want it repeated though.

On the speedo front - no need to really force limit , they are increasing the time duration for mandatory telematics, usually used for crash analysis ,
so the police could consult your cars log if there was some consequence to speeding - big brother

For classic cars they mandate even less strict mot right now.

My dad's series 3 land-rover is basically mot exempt from next year.

Soldato

They're not deliberate, what you're describing is an unfortunate side effect of manufacturers no longer producing parts or there being no new old stock.

If there really was an attempt to reduce the number of old vehicles on the road, they would simply require older vehicles to meet the same emission requirements as newer vehicles. E.g. applying a ULEZ like levy across the whole of the UK meaning you're screwed if your vehicle is pre Euro 4 for petrol or pre Euro 6 for diesel.

Caporegime
They're not deliberate, what you're describing is an unfortunate side effect of manufacturers no longer producing parts or there being no new old stock.

If there really was an attempt to reduce the number of old vehicles on the road, they would simply require older vehicles to meet the same emission requirements as newer vehicles. E.g. applying a ULEZ like levy across the whole of the UK meaning you're screwed if your vehicle is pre Euro 4 for petrol or pre Euro 6 for diesel.

I mean emissions are pretty much tied into mpg which is taxes very heavily so that kinda happens already.

Soldato
I thought, moreover, that they have never re-calculated emissions on older engines using the latest wltp process,
so, currently, I am paying more (£270, >200g) than I should for the mpg economy I actually achieve.

Associate
Great news if the government actually put this through. Nothing worse than a modded car that’s making a racket and pumping out petrol fumes where it’s been remapped and had its exhaust fiddled with. Not to mention how many of these modifications aren’t declared, leading to insurance and safety issues.
This happens so rarely that it's a non-issue. You're suggesting punishing those that want to modify their cars (body kits, suspension, performance chips etc) because of something you witness maybe once a month if lucky.

I can count on 1 hand the amount of pops and bang cars I've heard over the last 2 months.

Soldato
This happens so rarely that it's a non-issue. You're suggesting punishing those that want to modify their cars (body kits, suspension, performance chips etc) because of something you witness maybe once a month if lucky.

I can count on 1 hand the amount of pops and bang cars I've heard over the last 2 months.

We have a couple locally which are stupidly loud. It's only a couple but they are driving down the same road all the time so it gets annoying.

It's already illegal, they just never get stopped for it.

Back
Top Bottom