• Mane

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Sterling

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Van Dijk

Votes: 60 69.8%

• Total voters
Caporegime
No, but you can’t compare the two teams. Liverpool have always been a top 4 or 6 team. Repeating the same year after year without any trophies to show for it is not being successful, it’s maintaining the status quo.

based on that then Juventus winning the title this season would be seen as maintaining the status quo, same goes for PSG, etc.

Don
No, because they are winning trophies and proving themselves as the best in their leagues. Big difference.

Liverpool and Spurs have done well and are pushing for success, but they're not successful yet.

Yet PSG will probably look at their own season and deem it a slight disaster with how their recent form, loss in the domestic cup and woeful CL showing has gone.

A successful season isn't just about winning something.

Don
OP
How have Liverpool repeated the same thing rob? We've gone for 6th-7th to 4th, to 4th and a CL Final to now picking up 90+ points, in with a chance of winning the title and in a CL semi.

Arsenal spending years finishing 2nd-4th, never threatening to win a major title you could argue was repeating the same thing. Over the last 3 years Liverpool have improved hugely year on year.

Don
While improving is great and I am loving Klopps tenure, ultimately, winning things is what teams are judged on.

Will Mourinho be regarded as a success at Man U? He won things but ultimately played atrocious football. I reckon Man U fans would have sacrificed the trophies for exciting football that gave some optimism for the future

Don
OP
While improving is great and I am loving Klopps tenure, ultimately, winning things is what teams are judged on.
All he and the club can do is be the best they can be and give us the best possible chance of winning things. We have no control over Man City in the League or Barca tonight. If City win their remaining 2 games, finish the season with 98 points having won 18 of their last 19 League games hats off to them. Anybody that thinks picking up 90+ points, potentially 97 points, isn't an incredible achievement need to give their head a wobble. Similar tonight, Messi is arguably the greatest player of all time and if he turns it on then there might not be much we can do to win but we have to make sure we're at our best and make Barca/Messi be at their's to beat us.

Caporegime
All he and the club can do is be the best they can be and give us the best possible chance of winning things. We have no control over Man City in the League or Barca tonight. If City win their remaining 2 games, finish the season with 98 points having won 18 of their last 19 League games hats off to them. Anybody that thinks picking up 90+ points, potentially 97 points, isn't an incredible achievement need to give their head a wobble. Similar tonight, Messi is arguably the greatest player of all time and if he turns it on then there might not be much we can do to win but we have to make sure we're at our best and make Barca/Messi be at their's to beat us.
You have no control over city as you are not facing them any more, but to say you have no control against Barca is silly. To say if Messi is in form there’s not much we can do sounds very defeatist when you have one of the best centre backs in the world in your side.

Caporegime
How have Liverpool repeated the same thing rob? We've gone for 6th-7th to 4th, to 4th and a CL Final to now picking up 90+ points, in with a chance of winning the title and in a CL semi.

Arsenal spending years finishing 2nd-4th, never threatening to win a major title you could argue was repeating the same thing. Over the last 3 years Liverpool have improved hugely year on year.
Yes Baz, I agree. We haven’t been successful recently. Emery can get us back in the top four for the next ten years running, but until I see us lifting trophies, I won’t class his tenure as successful. At least in his final years, Wenger still have us some great trophy wins to enjoy.

Don
OP
You have no control over city as you are not facing them any more, but to say you have no control against Barca is silly. To say if Messi is in form there’s not much we can do sounds very defeatist when you have one of the best centre backs in the world in your side.
We cannot control how well Barca play - that's not silly, it's a fact. And it's not defeatist to say there might not be much we can do. Messi is the greatest player of all time, if he plays at the top of his game then we could play our absolute best and it still might not be good enough. I'm not saying it definitely won't be good enough or will be good enough - football at the highest level can be decided by the tiniest of margins but to rule out the possibility of Messi deciding the game on his own is naive to say the least.
Yes Baz, I agree. We haven’t been successful recently. Emery can get us back in the top four for the next ten years running, but until I see us lifting trophies, I won’t class his tenure as successful. At least in his final years, Wenger still have us some great trophy wins to enjoy.
So if you don't win a trophy this season you will want Wenger back I take it? As I touched on, where you ultimately finish in the league and whether you win a trophy or not isn't always down to how well you do yourself. All a side can do is play to their best and give themselves the best possible chance of winning.

Caporegime

My points exactly.

Liverpool this year have been a success. They potentially could hit 97 points is it with the 2 games left? Which if it was any other season would make them champions. Lost only 1 game all season. That is another success. Getting to the final in the CL last year and semi final so far this year is another success not many teams make it this far year on year.

PSG winning the league IMO isn't a success with their money and next to no competition. With Neymar, Mbappe and co in their team I would say this season has been awful which was my point when you talk about the likes of them and Juve who dominate domestically.

Liverpool have improved and kept up their success in a league which all the smaller teams have gotten substantially better. The teams placed 5th and below nowadays are substantially better than they were years ago. SO it's harder to get into the top 4 and even harder to win every game than ever before especially back when Man U dominated the league (90's), back then it was much easier to do it.

Caporegime
So if you don't win a trophy this season you will want Wenger back I take it? As I touched on, where you ultimately finish in the league and whether you win a trophy or not isn't always down to how well you do yourself. All a side can do is play to their best and give themselves the best possible chance of winning.

No, I wont want Wenger back. I enjoyed the FA cups, but he was stagnating us to the point of moving further and further away from where we really want to be, and that's challenging for titles. I don't for one minute expect Emery to challenge for titles why he's here, I don't think he'll be here long enough, but I'm hopeful that while he is here, he can start inching us in the right direction, although personally, I don't know if anyone can do that while under such financial restrictions as what's being placed on us.

Wining a trophy is down to how well you do yourself. If you had managed to pick up just two more points, you'd be winning the title in all likelihood. I'm sure if you go through the season, you could pinpoint a few occasions where you have let yourselves down and dropped vital points.

I think Liverpool have done amazing in the last few years to get the level they have, but unless they win trophies, they'll be forgotten about in a few years. Same goes for Spurs.

Don
OP
No, I wont want Wenger back. I enjoyed the FA cups, but he was stagnating us to the point of moving further and further away from where we really want to be, and that's challenging for titles.

So you recognise that simply winning a FA Cup while finishing 6th isn't always going to be better than possibly winning nothing and still finishing 6th.
Wining a trophy is down to how well you do yourself. If you had managed to pick up just two more points, you'd be winning the title in all likelihood. I'm sure if you go through the season, you could pinpoint a few occasions where you have let yourselves down and dropped vital points.

If Huddersfield won all 38 games then they'd win the League too rob. I don't think anybody is going to be saying that to Huddersfield supporters though. If you think this Liverpool side was capable of picking up 100+ points and have underachieved if they only pick up 95 then fair enough, I'd say that was pretty stupid though and history would suggest that too.

Caporegime
No, I wont want Wenger back. I enjoyed the FA cups, but he was stagnating us to the point of moving further and further away from where we really want to be, and that's challenging for titles. I don't for one minute expect Emery to challenge for titles why he's here, I don't think he'll be here long enough, but I'm hopeful that while he is here, he can start inching us in the right direction, although personally, I don't know if anyone can do that while under such financial restrictions as what's being placed on us.

I think Liverpool have done amazing in the last few years to get the level they have, but unless they win trophies, they'll be forgotten about in a few years. Same goes for Spurs.

We aren't talking about being remembered though. We are talking about success.

Being remembered and being successful are 2 different things. Mourinho won't be remembered for being at Man Utd where he was successful in the Europa League as well as a couple of other trophies.

Back
Top Bottom