PfSense - how to connect a WAP?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that. I’ll try that out later today. What is a floating rule as a matter of interest? It’s not a term I’ve come across before.

Soldato
Thanks for that. I’ll try that out later today. What is a floating rule as a matter of interest? It’s not a term I’ve come across before.

The main feature that solves your problem is that the firewall will apply the floating rules ahead of any other interface specific rules. And if it matches it won't bother applying anything else interface specific. Hence if you make a bi-directional allow any rule between the interfaces as @LuckyWig suggests then it'll pass the traffic and not bother with anything else, achieving inter-interface traffic as you desire.

Soldato
The bigger question is, if you are allowing unrestricted two way traffic anyway, what’s the logic behind not using the same interface/IP range to begin with.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Because it didn’t work for some reason. It does now though. I’ve got the LAN and WLAN talking to each other and the WLAN taking DHCP info from the same server as the LAN. Seems that the floating rule ironed out the communication issue between the two interfaces which let me get rid of the DHCP server for the WLAN. Much neater.

I’ve now set up a test WLAN and am playing about with different bits and bobs before going live. God forbid Facebook and Netflix get interrupted...

Back
Top Bottom