PG279Q is Gsync working above 100hz?

Associate
Have a very strange problem. The built in FPS counter for this monitor doesn't seem to work when the refresh rate is set to 120/144hz. The monitor doesn't display anything at all at 165hz. This makes me question if Gsync is working for anything higher than 100hz. I'm using a GTX 780 and the DP cable supplied with the monitor.

For example in Diablo 3:
Refresh rate set 120hz/144hz
In game FPS and fraps - variable 100-135fps
Built in FPS counter - locked at 120/144

Refresh rate set 85/100hz
In game FPS and fraps - variable 100-135fps
Built in FPS counter - half of whatever the ingame FPS/fraps is

In Skyrim:
In game FPS and fraps - variable 40-60fps
Built in FPS counter - locked at 120hz/144hz

In game FPS and fraps - variable 40-60fps
Built in FPS counter - matches fraps

In Dishonored 2
In game FPS and fraps - variable 25-30fps
Built in FPS counter - locked at 120hz/144hz

In game FPS and fraps - variable 25-30fps
Built in FPS counter - matches fraps

I have Gsync enabled in NCP. Vsync disabled in both NCP and ingame. Monitor's red LED is showing and Gsync shown to be on in the OSD for all refresh rates. Clean Windows 10 install.

If I'm playing D3 with refresh rate set to 100hz and the counter and ingame fps is different, which fps am I gaming at? And how do I get it to work when set higher for all games?

Big thanks to anyone who has any input..I haven't found a solution to this in days.

Man of Honour
I've never found the built in FPS counter on any monitor to work properly - I can't remember the exact behaviour on my Asus PG278Q but it was pretty broken and a waste of time.

Soldato
Enable the G-SYNC indicator in the nvidia driver control panel and see if it displays @ 165hz

Its under the display tab at the top when you select set up G-SYNC.

Associate
OP
Enable the G-SYNC indicator in the nvidia driver control panel and see if it displays @ 165hz

Its under the display tab at the top when you select set up G-SYNC.

165hz won't work with a 780. The screen will just go black if I overclock the monitor and select that as the refresh rate.

Associate
OP
But the 780 supports it so there is something wrong else where..its defo enabled in nvidia drivers ?

Which is why it's so bizarre. 100% enabled. I've even tried older drivers. I've alt tabbed in and out of games, changing the refresh rates and the only time it says "GSYNC ON" and the fps counter being dynamic is when its set to 100hz or less.

It was definitely working when set to 165hz on my 980Ti.

Soldato
Which is why it's so bizarre. 100% enabled. I've even tried older drivers. I've alt tabbed in and out of games, changing the refresh rates and the only time it says "GSYNC ON" and the fps counter being dynamic is when its set to 100hz or less.

It was definitely working when set to 165hz on my 980Ti.

Yes this is very bizarre.. did you try another DP cable just to rule it out ?

Try a factory reset off the monitor?

You can also try the nvidia G-SYNC pendulum demo to test.

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/downloads

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes this is very bizarre.. did you try another DP cable just to rule it out ?

You can also try the nvidia G-SYNC pendulum demo to test.

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/downloads

Haven't tried a different cable but I have tried the demo which shows Gsync as working but again this is for simulated 60fps; it's over 100hz I run into problems. Already done a monitor reset and downloaded new drivers too.

Soldato
Haven't tried a different cable but I have tried the demo which shows Gsync as working but again this is for simulated 60fps; it's over 100hz I run into problems. Already done a monitor reset and downloaded new drivers too.

Try another cable then but other than that i have no idea but from reading around its seems this monitor is not without its issues unfortunately.

Associate
OP
Afraid I don't have another cable.

However, I did get Gsync to work @120/144hz..but with 1080p and it still halves the framerates. 1440p still not working.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom