Ph1 Clio 172 or Ph2 Clio 172??

Soldato
Lo all,

I'm in the market for a new car and I'm contemplating a Clio 172. I've had a few passenger rides in a ph2 Clio 172 and I've literally been blown away with what you get for your money.

I've been driving just upto 4 years (22 now) and earned 3 years NCB (first year was as a named driver). In this time I've owned a cheap and cheerful Metro 1.1 and I'm now driving a low spec 1998 (S) SEAT Ibiza 1.4 so the Clio is a bit of a step up in cars.

I'm due a payrise in the coming months and I could easily purchase a ph1 Clio, but I love the looks of the ph2, plus you get the xenons, auto headlights, auto windscreen wipers, half leather / alacantra seats etc.

I've seen a couple of ph1's for around the £3.5k - £4k for top end, low mileage. I'd need to save a couple more £k for a decent ph2, probably around £6 - £6.5k for a decent example. However, I have found a few cheaper examples such as http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/119252.htm. I've noticed this has been up for sale for a long while so suggests that there is something too good to be true about the car.

If you was in my position would you wait until the end of the year / early next year to buy a ph2 Clio or would you grab a 'nice' ph1 example now?

Is the better looks, better features and newer model too tempting to wait for??

I had a mk2 from new. For your budget thou you may even find a 182 for 6.5/7k give that some thought too. Great little cars and what won it for me was the laugh and the kit you get with it. The mk1 is lighter and slightly (and I mean slightly) known to be a little quicker but this is just down to having less kit and lighter.
I would go with the mk2 or a 182 just for the reason the mk1 is starting to look a little more dated but its still a classic. I always liked the bumper on the mk1!

Lead_Head said:
The mk2 172 is a group 16 insurance, isn't the 182 a Group 20? I'm still young so I may not be able to insure a 182 easily / cheaply.

Nah its 16 the same. If your under 20 its going to rape you on insurance.

I had a phase 2 at 23, it was an awesome car. I prefer them over the phase 1's. I was paying about £700 fully comp with 3 years NCB. Definitely take a phase 2 over a phase 1 with your budget. Preferrably a UK car, non imported post 2002 as they came with traction and cruise control, not that you really need them, but they are a nice addition to the standard spec.

panthro said:
I had a phase 2 at 23, it was an awesome car. I prefer them over the phase 1's. I was paying about £700 fully comp with 3 years NCB. Definitely take a phase 2 over a phase 1 with your budget. Preferrably a UK car, non imported post 2002 as they came with traction and cruise control, not that you really need them, but they are a nice addition to the standard spec.
Mine was a imported 04 plate 172, I got from motor point. It has the cruise control etc. So imports have the features too.

adapt said:
Mine was a imported 04 plate 172, I got from motor point. It has the cruise control etc. So imports have the features too.

Sorry, that came out wrong, I didnt mean to say imports didnt come with that. You dont get locking wheel nuts with imports or alarms ( I think, just an immobiliser).

panthro said:
Sorry, that came out wrong, I didnt mean to say imports didnt come with that. You dont get locking wheel nuts with imports or alarms ( I think, just an immobiliser).
Yeah thats true thou, I went a bit mad and got the whole clifford g4 or what ever it was. Had the remote start and everything. I helped install the remote start as the fella who was doing it didnt have a clue. Had to hack away at my key to take out the board from it, tape into the outer rim of the key barrel and hide within the dash... It then worked like a charm. I loved my clio. Im still tempted to get a 182.... Maybe without the clifford thou this time.. bit ott...

Panthro, thanks for the advice. If I said 'F365 Rule One Narnia' would it mean anything to you? :o

Adapt, thanks for the input. Are there any easy ways to spot an import? Did the import effect insurance?

There are minor differences in the way the p1 and p2 drive but it's really down to personal preference. Some prefer the phase 1 as it's a little mor eraw, cable throttle, different suspension geometry and slightly diff gear ratios I beleive. The phase 2 has eletronic throttle and is a little heavier, but you'd probably not even notice.

Oh and the phase 1 also has half leather/alcantara :)

The_One said:
It has an alloy bonnet too which ph2 doesnt have.

Not all have the ally bonnet, just the good ones :p Some also have a little light that comes on on the dash when you hit just shy of the limiter to tell you to change gear. It's not really a shift indicator, it's a "CHANGE GEAR NOOOOWWWWWW" light you see just before hitting the limiter :P If you've got the bonnet you get the light as well I think.

If for some reason you do go for a ph1 (I doubt you will as most don't like the look of them) then there are a few niggly common faults but most are just cosmetic :)

Lead_Head said:
Adapt, thanks for the input. Are there any easy ways to spot an import? Did the import effect insurance?

Only where it was first registered and any delivery information that comes with the car. The give away is some extras. If it doesnt have a 6 disc cd changer/ alarm or locking nuts chances are its a import.

Nah it doesnt affect insurance really as its a euro import not a jap etc.
Mine was from a dealer in france. The same for a new laguna my dad got the other week from motorpoint. People went on at the time about only having a 2 year warrenty. But its not true. Renault have to honour the standard 3 year warrenty.

Also they are all built in the same factory in Dieppe, the alarms etc on the uk models were all added when they hit these shores by Renault :)

Nothing wrong with an import, locking wheel nuts aren't exactly expensive, I guess most people put a cat 1 alarm in from new anyway, and I can live without window etching :) Means you get it a little cheaper, but it also means people won't want to pay as much for it when you come to sell.

Lead_Head said:
The mk2 172 is a group 16 insurance, isn't the 182 a Group 20? I'm still young so I may not be able to insure a 182 easily / cheaply.

172 and 182 are group 16 however i think 182 trophy is group 17.

For insurance info, im 21 and pay £1100 per year fully comp. (2yrs NCB and Liverpool postcode) My renewal in Aug is £850 fully comp.

Back
Top Bottom