Phanteks Evolv atx vs Fractal Design R5

Associate
OP
I'll try and post a few pics tonight.

In fairness the build was good, lots of room inside and all came together quite easily iirc.

The white was what attracted me too, I went for a white SuperFlower Leadex Platinum PSU at the same time.

You know I wanted a SuperFlower Leadex white too actually, back when I bought the black version it was the only one they had in stock and PSU fan at the time was making some disgusting noises, I just could not take it any longer.

How is airflow in that case just out of interest?

Just chipping in as an Evolve ATX owner; it really is one of the nicest looking cases I've ever seen (I know that's subjective) and also the build quality is second to none...but the airflow is very poor...it might not be such an issue with air-cooling, but is really does suffocate rad airflow...if I take off the front cover for example my GPU temps drop by 12 degrees in gaming.....I've modded mine a touch to stop hot air bouncing off the roof back into the case....but its still not that ideal as they are higher than they should be on a custom loop....I would swap it for something different if I didn't like how much it looks so much...so all in all.....great case...terrible airflow.

I really do like the look of the Evolv that is why I am considering it, now to be fair I have a Thermalright Silver Arrow for my CPU cooler which is air cooled, so I am not sure I really plan to get any closed loop coolers at this time, I have been thinking about it but my current CPU cooler seems sufficient in my opinion.

So with that in mind would the airflow still be very poor with just standard air cooling? I think this is not the first time I have heard this, in reviews I have seen I do not think they have said there is much of a problem with the cooling but I could be wrong here. Shame I can't have everything I want in one case heh :).

Associate
Doubt you would have many issues with Air Cooling.....the issue more is the fact that it restricts airflow over radiators in water cooling setups, gimping the potential cooling power of W/C.....which even in the Evolve ATX is still leagues above Air and AIO setups.....so on air, I cant see it being much of an issue.

Associate
OP
I have seen the fact that the Phanteks Evolv ATX Glass edition has a built in RGB lighting hub. Does anyone where I can find some strips that would work with the case? I really want some of the CableMod ones that are magnetic but I am not sure if it will work with the case.

Just something I have been thinking about because if I wanted to do the same in the Fractal I would have to get the NZXT Hue+ to achieve the same affect right?

Associate
Regarding the evolv and airflow, I have the glass edition on order and when it comes I will be modding the front and top panels to either increase the vent size or add in additional ventilation points. Not for everyone I concede, but means I get a sexy case and (hopefully) acceptable cooling also. I will be coming from a luxe case and will be interesting to compare temps once I've modded the evolv.

Associate
Regarding the evolv and airflow, I have the glass edition on order and when it comes I will be modding the front and top panels to either increase the vent size or add in additional ventilation points. Not for everyone I concede, but means I get a sexy case and (hopefully) acceptable cooling also. I will be coming from a luxe case and will be interesting to compare temps once I've modded the evolv.

Id be interested in hearing how you achieve it....I did think about it, but my dremmel cutting skills I certainly don't trust...without making it look awful.

I was hoping Phanteks would offer a proper vented roof or meshed front panels as optional extras, as this is something I would definitely buy.

Associate
I'll be paying professionals to do the cutting via hardcore hardware!

I need the precision to ensure that it doesn't look awful (or turn into an expensive fail on my part). Depends on whether it will be drilled or cut though once I've mocked up some design options.

Associate
Cheers mate. I'd seen your model and it's good. I'm likely to make my changes post build and assess temps/hotspots first before deciding where to improve the airflow. Still having a model to show to the company carrying out the mods will be good

Soldato
Id be interested in hearing how you achieve it....I did think about it, but my dremmel cutting skills I certainly don't trust...without making it look awful.

I was hoping Phanteks would offer a proper vented roof or meshed front panels as optional extras, as this is something I would definitely buy.

I did ask Phanteks if they had any plans for a revision of the Evolv ATX with some better cooling in the top or front, and was told that there were no plans for any revision.

At least with the Fractal S the front panel is plastic and so much easier to modify if needed. Already seena couple with a huge chunk removed. With a small jig and my small router I could do that quite easily. Bit of a pain with aluminium though!

Soldato
If it's any help, I built a Fractal Design Define S recently and the temps were good. Rads were an EK XE 360 and an Alphacool XT60 240 x-flow. Hot stuff was a 6700K and a 980 Ti. Fans were Corsair SP120s run stupidly slowly - and temps were still good.

Soldato
Ment size wise not the modu system as I know i can get a R5 filter for the top and wondered if it would work and fit the same on the S

Associate
OP
Ment size wise not the modu system as I know i can get a R5 filter for the top and wondered if it would work and fit the same on the S

Which dust filters are you on about by the way? I think I will take a look, one of the things that did bother me is that the top would not have a dust filter if I ever wanted to mount a AIO in the top in the future.

Soldato
Just wanted to say that now I've finally got my mitts on the Fractal S I'm very very happy with my choice. Cavernous inside and very nicely put together. Everything nicely thought out.

Associate
OP
Just wanted to say that now I've finally got my mitts on the Fractal S I'm very very happy with my choice. Cavernous inside and very nicely put together. Everything nicely thought out.

Take some pictures of your process if you can, I would love to see that.

The one thing is that I really like the Fractal Case in white and the Define S isn't in white is it?

Back
Top Bottom