Phanteks PWM Hub Question

Associate
Hi guys, I've just had delivery of

CA009PT_93523_285x255.jpg

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-pwm-fan-hub-ca-009-pt.html
and at the same time I got some fans, It turns out the fan headers / connectors are all 4pin rather than 3pin, about 5 years ago all the fans I purchased were 3 pin so I was surprised to see these were all 4 pin when they arrived. I'm obviously behind the times. ;)

My question is, can I use the 4pin fans on the 3 pin hub controlling them all at the same speed via my bios, I plan on putting the fans on rads so don't need any individual speeds per fan.

I'm sure this question been asked before so apologies in advance.

Regards,

Michael

Soldato
Most PWM fans work fin on variable voltage control .. unless they are new Corsair ML or PWM fans with LED lights. The MLs need 9+ volts for the ML bearing and LED lighting will start acting wired below some level of voltage as well.

I suggest you get a PWM fan hub that is made for PWM fans. Sadly the Phanteks PWM fan hub is not a PWM PWM fan hub but a variable voltage fan hub that uses 12v power from PSU and the PWM signal from motherboard to convert that 12v to lower voltages depending on PWM signal percentage.

Soldato
As Doyll points out the phanteks hub isn't ideally suited to control PWM fans. I've only ever used a couple of PWM fans and found they both had relatively high starting voltages when driven with voltage. I think around the 8v mark if memory serves.

A typical 3 pin fan will go down to 3v with this device.

You may find that your fans are fine at 8-9v but ideally you would need an actual pwm hub/splitter not this slightly poorly named device.

Soldato
As Tealc said, getting a real PWM hub is the best solution.

Swiftech, Phobya and Silverstone all make good ones

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I never broke it's seal so I will probably send it back to Oc and go for a real PWM hub. I'm surprised that overclockers don't stock them given the variety of watercooling products they do stock.
Kudos doyll +Tealc.

Soldato
I haven't used the Silverstone PWM hub, but see no reason it shouldn't work very well. I've used a fair number of Silverstone products and all have been good.

Back
Top Bottom