Phanteks Shift X - SFX Or Not?

Associate
Just done my Z370 Shift X build this evening.

Going to fit a EK Custom loop (or Alternative), so please ignore the Intel cooler, that's just while I test it out.

This is going to be my HTPC/TV Gaming and Lanparty rig.

The question is... Shall I go down the SFX route for the PSU or not? I may squeeze all the EK stuff in but not 100% sure as yet.

PSU Currently is a ATX Seasonic Focus Plus 550w Platinum.

If I do go SFX what PSU is the most reliable, cleanest power and most importantly is silent when being used as a HTPC?
https://imgur.com/a/2v2kQ
https://imgur.com/a/JCGwZ
JCGwZ

Can't get images working for some reason, so put the links as well..

Associate
The SF600 is very highly regarded. JonnyGuru in particular couldn't praise it enough, it's pretty much borderline Platinum in terms of efficiency too.

It seems as though Corsair really went all out to take sales away from Silverstone who are really the only main brand for SFX power supplies.

I'm not familiar with your case, but if you need an ATX to SFX adapter go for the Silverstone SST-PP08. It has vent holes built in, as opposed to the Corsair adapter that's solid.

In small form factor builds every little bit of ventilation helps :)

Reliability is unknown at this stage as it's a new platform for Corsair, and that's reflected in the shorter (but still lengthy) warranty compared to other power supplies in the range.

Be interesting to see what it looks like with the SFX and most importantly how quiet it is :)

Noise is unfortunately the main point of contention with the SF600, there are reports that it's quite noisy due to an aggressive fan profile, but given the size they had to fit quite a small fan, and because of thermal considerations I imagine they crank the speed up to compensate.

The SF450 by comparison is meant to be quieter despite using the same fan....If you can get by with a 450 power supply and you're bothered about noise that's what I'd go for in all honesty.

Last edited:
Associate
Well I have installed it. As many people know or don't know the primary issue with the SF600 for me at least is the cables. Not so much the stiffness as that is problematic in itself but neither the CPu 8 pin or 24 pin atx connector are long enough and to be honest that is my fault for not getting a proper mitx sized cased and going with the shift x.

As regards to fan noise and and it smaller sibling the sf450. I run a 8700k overclocked and a 1080 ti in it. It can draw anywhere between 350-400w depending on what it used for although I have seen it spike to about 410 w.

Even though I would have saved a bit of money going with the SF 450 I just didn't feel comfortable running it at almost flat out. THat's why I went with the SF600.

I am totally blown away by the PSU itself though so dinky. As for noise If the fan has spun up then I have not heard it due to the annoying fan profile the evga 1080 ti hybrid has. It has two speeds 100% at idle and 100% at load. So I dumped the evga fan and replaced it with a spare noctua but even that is audible at 100%. I have now stuck a low noise adaptor on it and will pay special attention to the fan noise.

Associate
I have a Nano S with the SF600 and agree with you. Other than the cables it is great, I ended up getting a cablemod set.

I also have the 1080 ti hybrid, for me the fan isn't the issue but the pump is as it makes an annoying whine. At some point I will run the pump from my aquaero but haven't got round to taking it apart yet, am a little loathe to do so for such an expensive GPU!

Back
Top Bottom