Phenom II or I5 for £400 build??

Associate
Looking to spend about 400 quid and I can't decide whether to go for an I5 or or a Phenom II X6.

So much choice for a mobo, would like SLI as I have 2 7900GTO's, I know they're oldish but I didn't want to replace them straight away. Not playing games much so I don't really need them.

Anyone make any recommendations?

Associate
If you aren't playing games much, and don't need much power, I don't see why you'd need or want an I5 or X6? Unless you're smashing code. You could just wait and save until you can afford an entire new setup.

Associate
OP
Don't need a full setup really just didn't wanna lose the SLI, need raid too.
I need a beefy machine as I do "smash code" :) and I'll probably play a few games at some point.

Soldato
I recall from a bit-tech review that Fuzion of mixing ATI with Nvidia cards gave very poor results comparion of actual Crossfire/SLI...not sure how dual Nvidia or dual ATI card on Fuzion will perform comparing to Crossfire/SLI...

Edited because of noticing it was a Fuzion board.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
we r not talking a performance drop to Atari level here lol. so the 16x slots will perform like 8x slots (probably not even that bad) because of hydra. you have to remember we are talking about a £99.99 board here. the fact that you can run 2 ati or nvidia cards in itself is a major win for "Value" alongside usb/sata 3. wots the problem?

Soldato
if he wants to crossfire get a proper crossfire motherboard but if he wants to sli, i guess thats the only option(fuzion)
Considering the huge performance hit on the (Fuzion) Hydra, with it only delivering as low as only 25%~60% minimum frame rate of Crossfire/SLI in most situations (refer to the bit-tech link in my previous post), I don't think any sensible person should in invest dual-card on a Fuzion board. If anyone want to run dual-card properly, they should invest on a proper Crossfire/SLI board.

Take the PCI-E 2.0 x4's worst case example from Tomshardware- the CODMW2:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pcie-geforce-gtx-480-x16-x8-x4,2696-5.html
the GTX480 at x4 is only delivering just above 50% of the frame rate of x16...and other games that were tested in that same review all lost less than 50% frame rate on x4.

And then we take a look at (Fuzion) Hydra's worst case example from bit-tech- the MODMW:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/01/08/msi-big-bang-fusion-lucid-hydra-arrives/5
The Hydra 5770 is delivering only 30-40% of Crossfire 5770's frame rate; and the Hydra GTX260 is only delivering 32-39% of GTX260SLI's frame rate.
And in Batman: Arkham Asylum, the CF5770 deliver 50 minimum fps, whereas the Hydra 5770 only deliver minimum 14fps!

If it proves anything, it is that Hydra's dual-card performance is mostly slower than, and very rarely as fast as Crossfire/SLI on PCI-E 2.0 x4. Hydra's performance comparion to Crossfire/SLI is a joke, it is as simple as that...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom