Phison says Gen 5 and 6 are HOT HOT

Soldato
OP
Quick update on the status of storage

Based on the newest video from Steve and Wendel, Gen 6 drives are not going to work in the m2 form factor. The max power for the connector will be exceeded, we're already pulling as much power as we can to power Gen 5 drives, Gen 6 won't work.

So it's quite likely Gen 6 PCIE SSDs will be moving to a new form factor. However that form factor and connection is not yet decided, in the video they go over some options but the one Wendel believes will be most suited is this thing:

Its connection can supply more power and due to its form factor it will be easier to cool, plus it can connect using a cable (and even long cables work flawlessly) so you can stick it anywhere in the case. Servers are now using these for Gen 5 and they've started doing Gen 6 testing on them too

Due to the larger size at 3.5, you can also stick more flash on it so these thing already come in up 30TB sizes and they run cool with no fans, no massive heatsinks

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm guessing because outside of really extreme usage cases, it makes no difference...

'heat spreaders' on ram are more for show than anything else 99.9% of the time, of course if you want RGB ram then you'll need that casing to house the LED's.

Equaly people say gen 5 drives run really hot..but what real world performance are you getting over a sata SSD??

Don't get me wrong, I'm running a mixture of SATA SSD and NVME gen 4 M.2.. I've basically retired my spin drives....

But when people say they are over-heating SSDs...what the hell are they doing with them to make them run so hot?

Even just downloading a game from steam can get a drive a bit toasty. Steam tries to install games while you download and does this as fast as you can send it data, so if you have a gig or multi gig connection then your ssd is gonna be running pretty hard writing files

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not sure what the hold up is with Samsung it's not like they don't have a gen5 controller

Samsung already has an enterprise gen5 drive with a 13GB/s speed. Only thing I can think of is this controller is very inefficient and the drive would consume too much power in an m2 form factor

Edit: ok confirmed its power. To push this drive at 13GB/s the controller needs 24 watts to power it. Not only is that far too hot for a M2 Nvme drive but it's also 10 watts over the maximum power output of a m2 Nvme port. Samsung needs a gen5 controller with 50% better efficiency

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sabrent new improved Rocket 5 Gen 5 SSD with 14GB/s read and 12GB/s write?

Oh what a disappointment! :rolleyes:

T-Force is launch Gen 5 SSD GE PRO with 12nm Innogrit IG5666 controller offer 14GB/s read but write speed is not announced yet.

Probably 10 or 12GB/s write.

Meh! :o

Gen 5 SSDs with Sillicon Motion 6nm SM2508 controller will offer superior 14.5GB/s read, 14GB/s write speed and lower power consumption than competitors.

Nice! :eek::cool:

finally SM2508 is what we need. I was shocked to find gen5 drives are all using 12nm controllers but the SM2508 will be the first to switch to 6nm and it will cut power draw in half

Soldato
OP
15 secs sounds long but maybe he's counting from when he pressed the power button instead of when bios loading completed

The other thing is windows load time can differ between systems; the more software you want available at boot and the more drivers need to be loaded, the longer windows takes to load

Soldato
OP
The problem is we know nothing is going to change in the short term or even medium term on the flash memory front - SSDs are going to continue to be slow for random reads. Therefore the solution is to stop focusing on what we can't change and change we can do.

For example try to package game files as a few large sequential files instead of lots of small random files. Doing this would probably result in storing additional game data in ram and vram that isn't actually needed but it's worth it to make games load faster by trying to make it large sequential loads and PCs now have lots of memory and even to store unused data

Back
Top Bottom