1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

phone app dev software

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by WrathOfAchilles, 11 Oct 2013.

1. WrathOfAchilles

Wise Guy

Hi all,

Ill prob sound like an idiot here as I dont know what im talking about - am asking for a mate...

They have used some software to create an iPhone app - record results for their phd study and they wanted to port it to android but said its a dev/licencing cost of over 300 quid? Assume its software + license she is looking at buying. This sound right? There nothing free?

Ta,
    Achilles

2. InertProtocol

Hitman

I've looked into this too. Nothing free that i am aware of.

3. WrathOfAchilles

Wise Guy

she was looking at "livecode", this any good/something to avoid?

4. InertProtocol

Hitman

Hmm, that looks promising, never seen that before.

Can't see the vids from work though but will definitely having a look at this tonight.

5. Tilluss

Hitman

Avoid it. I had someone come to me with an iOS app they had created with it, they had spent over a month developing it in LiveCode and the results were terrible. I took it and managed to replicate the app natively in 5 hours with better results.

All of these cross platform development tools promise the world but I've yet to see a single one that comes close to yielding satisfactory results. Go native or a website, or don't do it at all.

6. GravyMonster

Capodecina

I create mobile apps in C# using Xamarin, it's awesome. The only downside it you still need a Mac to create the UIs on and build iOS apps with. Android and WP you can build straight out of the box.

7. davetherave2

Mobster

8. rsatd

Mobster

Phonegap is good unless you need to get access to internal functions like calendar for example. For android there is a plugin but i didint find one for iphone when I was looking to do something with it, but if you want to simple display/store/process some data, phonegap is actually pretty easy to use.

9. Tilluss

Hitman

I agree that it's probably awesome for simple generic apps, but for doing something more serious you need to be able to get past those layers that these solutions provide. Using the correct technology for each platform is vital to creating a great UX, something generic can never beat native for serious development.

10. bam0

Soldato

Apache Cordova, write your app in HTML5/JS. Produce packaged apps for whichever platform, also free.