Phone Zombies

Associate
The absolute top two worst things on the tube are:
  • People who don't step down from a crowded train when they are standing by the doors to let people off quickly, instead making everyone squeeze past and ensuring the whole process takes longer
  • People who step down from a train and then freeze on the spot to stare at the signs to figure out what way to go, rather than moving to one side
On my shortlist are people who approach a ticket barrier and then decide they had best search for their ticket.

Yup, despise the people who reach the barrier and then go "Oh, silly me, I need to use a ticket to go through these like I do every day of my working life".

But there is a special place in hell for the cretins who put their feet on the seats.

Caporegime
OP
Quite a lot of the phone zombies I see are just regular commuters who amble along and are actually watching TV shows or movies. Seriously, is a show that important?

This is exactly it. It's fairly obvious if someone is using their phone for information purposes or to look at a tube map or whatever, but those who wander around watching shows in their phone definitely grind my gears the worst. Does my head in.

Associate
Loads of phone zombie encountered daily but I usually duck and dive around them. Surprised at how many appear to be watching TV shows whilst walking between train and tube.

I've noticed in the last couple of years that some people have decided that they need to be the first person off the tube at their stop, so when they get on it, they just stop in the doorway and stand there, even when there are a load of people behind them wanting to get on. Just move in!

Soldato
OP, as a fellow commuter into the Big Smoke I completely sympathise however I don't think physical violence is the answer. I've noticed people behaving differently based on my appearance: if I travel in a suit I get more respect, if I'm in my bright red North Face and jeans and look like a tourist, I'm given no quarter.

So I really, really try to remember a mantra I heard recently: "imagine others complexly". The guy in a suit on his Blackberry isn't just a city toss-pot, he could be a father texting his daughter, or a husband telling his wife he's going to miss the train. That Chinese tourist with five cameras and a union jack top hat isn't just a slowly moving Underground bollard, she's a person who's excited to see our great city. I think if we just gave each other a little more respect, London would be a nicer place.

Except for people who try to get on the train while people are still getting off. Those people deserve a special place in hell.

Soldato
My problem is general zombies. Plenty of people round my way just don't look where they're going without a phone. Also, old people on mobility scooters are a menace.

I only have one observation about mobile use in public - well pubs - is couples who sit in deathly silence while glued to their screens. Just break up and be done with it. :p

Soldato
The worst are the ones who get off the tube and continue watching whatever tv show while walking along on their phone. PUT THE PHONE DOWN AND LOOK WHERE YOU'RE GOING YOU IDIOT!'

To be fair people who also continue to read a book/newpaper while walking annoy me just as much

Soldato
Phone zombies are the step on from the group of people walking along slowly (or simply standing chatting) blocking your path and not being polite enough to let you pass. The key is that once these people are engaged in conversation with someone, they completely ignore everyone else around them because their interaction with the person they are talking to (or whatsapping etc) is more important to them (Their companion or virtual companion is more important than you). It's rude and inconsiderate and a sign of the general lack of respect for others prevalent in society today.

Associate
Common sense and common courtesy are not too common nowadays.
Indeed as evidenced by those here who believe that their usage of walkways is any more important that someone else's. If the extra seconds you save by being a rude a**** make that much difference, manage your time better and leave earlier.

Soldato
I was talking about this to a friend yesterday. I hate it also.... but then I realised I am one of them :/ Sometimes I find myself just constantly checking my phone.... no reason. Looking at the same news articles or threads. I am going to make it my aim to become less reliant on my phone.

I would post a Louis CK video on the subject but its full of swears.

Caporegime
Indeed as evidenced by those here who believe that their usage of walkways is any more important that someone else's. If the extra seconds you save by being a rude a**** make that much difference, manage your time better and leave earlier.

But these morons don't just impact him and nor should they need to. There is nothing to stop them moving out of people's way. They're just arses. Self involved, ignorant, oblivious arses.

Soldato
Probably tourists using Google maps to navigate their way around London. Good job keeping up the impression the rest of us get that London is full of self-important ***** though

We stayed a few nights in London recently and were using Google maps all the time to navigate. However, a bit of common sense and courtesy allows one to realise that you shouldn't do that while standing in the middle of a walk way. Just get out of the way when you're searching, once the route loads you can join the rest at a decent walking pace.

Man of Honour
Unfortunately it's not just London, it's happening everywhere. We go into town once a week and every week without fail we see people engrossed in their mobiles and completely oblivious to everything that is going on around them just walk out into traffic. They then get upset when you blow your horn at them after just managing to stop before running them over!! It even happens in supermarkets. If it isn't already bad enough having useless parents letting their brats run around like they are in a playground we now have to put up with mobile phone zombies blocking the aisles. It was even worse when Pokemon go launched but thankfully that's died down now.

Associate
But these morons don't just impact him and nor should they need to. There is nothing to stop them moving out of people's way. They're just arses. Self involved, ignorant, oblivious arses.

OP is no less self involved or ignore or ignorant than those he barges into as far as I am concerned. In fact I would say he is more self absorbed and ignorant in some respects.

What makes him so special that others should move out of his way. Is his journey more important than anyone else's?

Perhaps those who are walking along on their phones are unsure of where they are going and are checking directions? Perhaps they are taking advantage of the few minutes of peace they get each day with no one to bother them. Except that is for the self important guy who felt the need to barge into them just to make himself feel better.

Slow moving person walking in front to of you? Aww Diddums... :rolleyes:

/Salsa

Caporegime
OP
OP is no less self involved or ignore or ignorant than those he barges into as far as I am concerned. In fact I would say he is more self absorbed and ignorant in some respects.

What makes him so special that others should move out of his way. Is his journey more important than anyone else's?

Perhaps those who are walking along on their phones are unsure of where they are going and are checking directions? Perhaps they are taking advantage of the few minutes of peace they get each day with no one to bother them. Except that is for the self important guy who felt the need to barge into them just to make himself feel better.

Slow moving person walking in front to of you? Aww Diddums... :rolleyes:

/Salsa

I think you'll find they're called walkways, not chill-out-and-watch-the-latest-episode-of-game-of-thrones ways.

Again, if it's elderly people, tourists, people who are genuinely lost, then fine, I walk around or find another way, and if people are clearly lost I'll even stop to offer help, but those idiots who are very clearly commuting in their work clobber who find it acceptable to walk at 25% of the people around them so they hold everyone up? Have a shoulder you selfish, inconsiderate pricks.

Soldato
I was a zombie but not in public places, just in the car or my own home. I permanently deleted my Facebook account last week and it'll be gone forever next week. I was spending too much time reading endless twaddle from people I somehow befriended, looking at photo's of people that were clearly doctored and had been taken several hundred times until they got the pose they liked.

Adios twaddle.

Back
Top Bottom