Photographer arrested for...wait for it...being too tall!

Soldato
So if it isnt enshrined in law then we dont do it? We refuse to budge on the most simplest of matters at increasing expense to the taxpayer?

Look at it from the perspective of the police. They get a report of a man behaving suspiciously who is taking photographs of buildings and people in the towncentre. Now in my view purely taking a few photographs outside seems fine (otherwise do PCSOs and council workers spend much of their time questioning every single person who is taking pics? )
So if we assume that generally such activity is normal and that is was this man's behaviour that was noticeable. In other words he was acting suspiciously. We dont have the details of that. He could have been causing an obstruction or harassing other members of the public.
Of course the respective authorities didnt cover themselves in glory by refusing to identify themselves to him. But does that warrant exchanging in a silly tit-for-tat game at cost to the taxpayer?? No it doesn't But it does allow a load of people to jump on the "rights" bandwagon. Wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing was staged.

If you are gonna use the "wasting police time" argument, you would be better off directing it toward the two council workers. The man in question has not wasted police time. He was asked by two apparent strangers to show them some ID. He refused. They said they would get the police, despite the fact he has broken no law. He says "Fine". It's not his problem, nor his fault, that the police were called. He was going about his everyday business. It was not a problem until two jumped up jobsworths from the council decided to make an issue of it.

In fact, it sounds like even when the police turned up, it still wouldn't of been an issue for any normal police officer. But no, instead they force the issue and arrest him for some unclear reasoning, blowing this whole issue out of proportion.

All due to the paranoia of two civil servants.

Soldato
(otherwise do PCSOs and council workers spend much of their time questioning every single person who is taking pics? )
So if we assume that generally such activity is normal and that is was this man's behaviour that was noticeable. In other words he was acting suspiciously. We dont have the details of that. He could have been causing an obstruction or harassing other members of the public.

Seemingly the very act of owning a half decent camera is enough to be considered suspicious which is why photographers get so annoyed.

Soldato
So if it isnt enshrined in law then we dont do it? We refuse to budge on the most simplest of matters at increasing expense to the taxpayer?

That wasn't what I said - I said that he did not have to, not that it was necessarily considerate that he did not.

Look at it from the perspective of the police. They get a report of a man behaving suspiciously who is taking photographs of buildings and people in the towncentre. Now in my view purely taking a few photographs outside seems fine (otherwise do PCSOs and council workers spend much of their time questioning every single person who is taking pics? )
So if we assume that generally such activity is normal and that is was this man's behaviour that was noticeable.

Or alternatively a member of the public got their nose out of joint for having their picture taken without their permission, who knows?

In other words he was acting suspiciously. We dont have the details of that. He could have been causing an obstruction or harassing other members of the public.
Of course the respective authorities didnt cover themselves in glory by refusing to identify themselves to him. But does that warrant exchanging in a silly tit-for-tat game at cost to the taxpayer?? No it doesn't.

Tit-for-tat is refusing to identify yourself to someone who has not done the same. Arresting someone for that isn't tit-for-tat, it's just being an arse because you can be.

But it does allow a load of people to jump on the "rights" bandwagon. Wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing was staged.

Oh, those wooly liberals with their objections to people being arrested when they've broken no laws, they make me sick!:mad::p

Soldato
That wasn't what I said - I said that he did not have to, not that it was necessarily considerate that he did not.

If you are acting suspiciously and a police officer asks you to identify yourself and you refuse then its an arrestable offence simple as. Note *i didnt say chargeable* (for those that will jump down my throat for that) The difference is palpable, i'll get to that later. Its different steps that help police do their job.

Or alternatively a member of the public got their nose out of joint for having their picture taken without their permission, who knows?

Exactly - its just speculation. What is not speculation is that the police received a report on suspicious behaviour and they are duty bound to investigate. In this instance it is just a photographer going about his business (and look at the fuss kicked up) if it turned out to be something much more insidious involving serious criminal activity and physical harm/injuries caused to members of the public and the police had not intervened/investigated or asked the person what they were doing and who they were etc there would be have been absolute uproar lambasting the police for not acting.

All the police did was investigate - that is their job.

Tit-for-tat is refusing to identify yourself to someone who has not done the same. Arresting someone for that isn't tit-for-tat, it's just being an arse because you can be.

Afaik the police that arrived suitably identified themselves so why does the photographer continue to withhold identity? Ok fair enough if initially he was "accosted" by the council workers who didnt identify themselves so he saw fit not to identify himself. But when police turn up why belabour his point? He then only divulged the information when "arrested" but like ive said it should never have gone that far. I blame the photographer for this.

Also, being arrested doesn't mean you will be charged. One of the police officers on here can clarify this but i'd be willing to bet there are many many occasions where people are arrested and not charged. This is not a mistake or heavy-handedness by officers. (although imo it is often interpreted as such and people start wailing about rights being trodden on) If police have suspicion or enough evidence to warrant further investigation then arresting someone gives them more powers to pursue the inquiry further. e.g. Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 may be used if it is deemed necessary to find out the person's name and address (among other things)

The extent of Police Powers to arrest
  • anyone who has committed an offence, or is suspected thereof;
  • anyone who is about to commit an offence, or is suspected thereof;
  • anyone who is in the act of committing an offence, or is suspected thereof.
^^^ So of course innocent people can be arrested. How does one ascertain that someone is innocent? not by magic but by pursuing the investigation further and "arresting" the suspect allows them to do that.

Now its sad that the nowadays police have to resort to "arresting" to legally oblige people to part with the most simple of information - but this is how society has become these days.

Has absolutely nothing to do with the police officer being an "arse" or whatever (in some instances it might but not in this instance we are talking about). They are just trying to do their job to protect the public.

Oh, those wooly liberals with their objections to people being arrested when they've broken no laws, they make me sick!:mad::p

Like i said being arrested does not mean you have broken the law. Is that not up to whatever court the case comes to to decide?

For me the entire case has nothing to do with "how rights are being trodden upon" - for perhaps sun and news of the world readers maybe....

Soldato
Good thing your option counts for nothing then. We have laws to deal with these situations, and the photographer broke no laws.

Did i say he did? Also did you mean to say opinion rather than "option" ? What was my opinion then?

I think a lot of people are getting up in arms over nothing.... being arrested does not mean you have broken the law. A simple fact that many people seem to have conveniently overlooked :rolleyes:

RDM

RDM

Soldato
For me the entire case has nothing to do with "how rights are being trodden upon" - for perhaps sun and news of the world readers maybe....

Wasn't your original outrage all about the "rights" of the individual to walk through town without their picture being taken? Possibly even innocent children! :p

Soldato
If you are acting suspiciously and a police officer asks you to identify yourself and you refuse then its an arrestable offence simple as. Note *i didnt say chargeable* (for those that will jump down my throat for that) The difference is palpable, i'll get to that later. Its different steps that help police do their job.

Good thing for him he didn't do that then.

The only time a police officer (and not a council worker or PCSO) asked for ID was after he was arrested for "being initimidating" with the excuse of section 44 of the anti terrorism act. At which point he provided it.

Wasn't your original outrage all about the "rights" of the individual to walk through town without their picture being taken? Possibly even innocent children! :p

I don't think he knows what he was offended about any more.

Last edited:
Soldato

Original gripe was about photographers ethics/code of conduct and respecting the rights of others.

Not really outrage though - i think everyone else in the thread got "outraged" (deliberate) at the treatment of the photographer. Its the fashionable thing for you kids to do...

But again this thread reminds me why i dont bother with GD anymore. :) So i wont make that mistake again.

Soldato
I don't think he knows what he was offended about any more.

Its not really my fault you can't keep up. I did try to make it simple enough for you...its difficult when you are more interested in emotional outbursts and the emotional value of what happened rather than simple facts and logic. Its like a drug you have to have i guess...so regardless of what the truth of the situation is...you demand to be continually spoon fed your "junk food" of sensationalist garbage.

Soldato
But it isn't really about logic, is it - this was a case of a photographer getting a few complaints, gave an account of what he was doing, refused to give his ID to those who didn't have a right to demand it, and got arrested for taking a police officers picture (and for being 'difficult'). Now, if you think that it's logical and sensible to call that suspicious behaviour then I guess we disagree on what that means. It's useless saying you don't have to give ID if you will get arrested for not doing so. Even if you don't get charged, you shouldn't be arrested for taking photos in a town centre, and I don't think saying that is being sensationalist.

Soldato
Did i say he did? Also did you mean to say opinion rather than "option" ? What was my opinion then?

I think a lot of people are getting up in arms over nothing.... being arrested does not mean you have broken the law. A simple fact that many people seem to have conveniently overlooked :rolleyes:

Yes I did mean opinion. Why are you asking me what your opinion is? I quoted it in my post above.

Soldato
Personally i think its highly offensive and rude (and i would have reported him as well) but photographers go by a different sense of etiquette and ethics i guess.

I'm sorry you sound ridiculous, if we had it your way every photo we ever have would require people to not be in the picture, what does that leave you with? Hardly much.

How about you elaborate a little before sounding like you do, arrogant and clearly not thinking at all about what you just said?

Imagine trying to take a picture of time square..
"Oh no can't do that, there's PEOPLE in the picture!!!"

If you don't like it, you tell the photographer and they will respect you, I would.
Only ever had one person tell me, some lady getting tattoo'd in Berlin with thousands of people doing the same thing and TV cameras, wrong place love but..I had to respect her wishes.

I guess you feel the same way about video capture?

Last edited:
Permabanned
So
next time around ,Al Qaeda must send a short-sighted midget photographer,with a micro-nano camera embedded in the glasses,in order to fool the British officers,eheheh:D

Back
Top Bottom