Photography / Gaming Monitor for 4090

Associate
I have had a Dell Ultrasharp Ultrawide 34 inch curved monitor for a while (Dell U3417W a replacement for the U3415W I had for a couple years before that), is now a good time to upgrade?

Any recommendations for £1000+ monitors that I'm going to stick with for a long time?

Professional event photography, gaming BG3 and BF2042 at the moment.

Last edited:
So far I'm drawn to something like the Samsung Odyssey OLD G9, but concerned about burn in and photography - but Lightroom did have a recent HDR update, I wonder how that would look :)

edit. the more i look into it and read opinions, the less I like it...

Last edited:
The thing is, I don't think there's really an option that really fits with how you want to invest that amount of money.

You have (QD/W)OLED that has infinite blacks and excellent colours, but suffer from burn ins (eventually, or quickly in certain scenarios if you don't take precautions).

Price wise, those OLEDs that can work decently can be got for around £700-1100. But no matter the price, you will still suffer from eventual burn ins.

Current QD-OLEDs are max out at UW 3440x1440, no 4K versions just yet, those refreshes are around the corner. So you'll need to wait before you can even get one of these.

Other existing monitor technologies get good with colours and blacks and can be 4K resolution already, but they cost a lot more than £1k (a LOT more). But they'll always be inferior to the infinite true blacks of the OLEDs (except for those screens waaay outsite your price range).

If you're OK to wait a bit, then you're looking at waiting on the refresh of the QD-OLED screens coming next year (hopefully a few months time) and then getting a 4K or better QD OLED screen. But there'll be a new premium on top so you're probably looking at £1-2K for the 34" models (instead of the current gen ones going between £600-900) and more for the larger ones. But from what's been said, the new panels and tech used should have more mitigation involved and should last a fair bit better than the existing models, whilst giving out a bit more brightness too.

Personally, I would wait if I could.

The thing is, I don't think there's really an option that really fits with how you want to invest that amount of money.

You have (QD/W)OLED that has infinite blacks and excellent colours, but suffer from burn ins (eventually, or quickly in certain scenarios if you don't take precautions).

Price wise, those OLEDs that can work decently can be got for around £700-1100. But no matter the price, you will still suffer from eventual burn ins.

Current QD-OLEDs are max out at UW 3440x1440, no 4K versions just yet, those refreshes are around the corner. So you'll need to wait before you can even get one of these.

Other existing monitor technologies get good with colours and blacks and can be 4K resolution already, but they cost a lot more than £1k (a LOT more). But they'll always be inferior to the infinite true blacks of the OLEDs (except for those screens waaay outsite your price range).

If you're OK to wait a bit, then you're looking at waiting on the refresh of the QD-OLED screens coming next year (hopefully a few months time) and then getting a 4K or better QD OLED screen. But there'll be a new premium on top so you're probably looking at £1-2K for the 34" models (instead of the current gen ones going between £600-900) and more for the larger ones. But from what's been said, the new panels and tech used should have more mitigation involved and should last a fair bit better than the existing models, whilst giving out a bit more brightness too.

Personally, I would wait if I could.

Thanks, I will indeed wait for the QD-OLEDs. Thanks for bringing me up to speed.

Back
Top Bottom