(Photoshop) Painting 2D on 3D surface

Associate
Hello folks,

I'm trying to repaint an aircraft for FSX, might be something really basic I'm missing but I'm having a really hard time getting straight lines when the livery is wrapped around the 3d model. Don't think it's FSX related so some artists in here may be able to help.

Here's 2 screen shots to show what I mean, I know the red line could be better but this is just an example. Nothing seems to line up. I just want some nice crisp straight lines to follow the spine of the aircraft.

Is it really just trial and error or is there some science behind it?

Here's how it'll look...hopefully...

Soldato
Surely it would be easier to start by filling it all in red, then adding the blue on afterwards. I'd also be using layers to make sure it could be changed easily enough if needed.

Pen tool and masking would also help.

It's been many years since I last did this kind of thing thought but it was always a little trial and error, but with a good process it can be sped up easily.

Associate
OP
Starting with red is a good idea, I'm using layers so its easy enough to change.

Had good results using the pen to make a line then add a stroke pass as a brush, but it's still far to fiddly for me to be bothered with i think

Soldato
if you're happy w/ the blue, why not use Layer styles to add a red Stroke to it, then you can mask of any bits you don't want, or apply the style and erase the unwanted etc.

Soldato
Pen tool would help getting a good smooth curve to a line if you need to but you can turn a path into a selection to fill an area rather than simply stroke it. Masks are a very good idea as they allow you to add and remove easily.

It looks like, from the images you posted, the blue once on the model is pretty straight. What you could do is fill it with blue, duplicate the layer, change it to red and use the arrow keys to nudge it up. It probably wouldn't be perfect but it would be close then you could use a mask to get it perfect.

I am sorry to say but the best way I have found is always trial and error. You may get it pretty close using tips like above but that last bit from good to perfect takes a lot of time.

Associate
Do you have a wireframe to help see where the model has been unwrapped?

It looks like the map may be pulling the textures at the edges, which can cause blurred lines.

Associate
OP
roger that;30494450 said:
Do you have a wireframe to help see where the model has been unwrapped?

It looks like the map may be pulling the textures at the edges, which can cause blurred lines.

Ah ha! Good idea, yes there is a wireframe. Might start afresh using that as a guide.

Back
Top Bottom