php - create array in while loop - can't figure it out

why isn't the below working? the array is being created and returned, however it's just the latest while loop that gets returned. i've tried $timeoff .= array.... but that messes it up. how would i add to the array without resetting it?

PHP:
$timeoff = array();

while($row = mysqli_fetch_array($result_stafftimes_timeoff)) {

$offId =$row['offId'];
$location =$row['location'];
$startdate =$row['startdate'];   
$enddate =$row['enddate'];   
$reason =$row['reason'];   

$timeoff = array
  (
  array($startdate,$enddate,$reason, $location),

);

}

return($timeoff);
}

Soldato
Alternatively you should be able to do -
Code:
$timeoff[] = array($startdate, $enddate, $reason, $location);

Edit - I should have added a bit more info but essentially the code you have creates a new empty array using the $timeoff variable then during your while loop you assign the variable with a new multidimensional array (array( array() ); rather than to an index, which is why you're only seeing the last results.
Using square brackets after an arrays variable denotes that you want to assign a value to a new index, eg - $array_variable[] = 'Bob'.

Where array_push() is useful is when you need to add data to multiple indexes at once, otherwise i'd just stick to the above for simplicity.

I would however recommend reading the PHP 'sites documentation as there's loads of examples - http://php.net/manual/en/language.types.array.php#language.types.array.syntax.modifying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom