PHP Date formatting - MySQL

Associate
I'd appreciate any help with this problem as although I've been trawling tutorials online etc I still can't get my head around the date formatting concept when displaying data from MySQL in PHP.

Code is as follows:

$events = @mysql_query('SELECT StartDate, EndDate, EventTitle FROM events WHERE StartDate >= NOW()');

while ($event = mysql_fetch_array($events))
{
$startdate = $event['StartDate'];

echo $startdate;

}

Now when I read some tutorials it suggested putting in DATE_FORMAT before the StartDate field in the MySQL select query, but this is not working for me when using the following code:

$events = @mysql_query('SELECT DATE_FORMAT(StartDate, '%d'), EndDate, EventTitle FROM events WHERE StartDate >= NOW()');

It is not displaying any results now. I changed the types of quotation marks around the SQL query incase that made a different but to no joy.

Any assistance would be appreciated! Basically I just want it to display 20th instead of 2008-06-20 etc.

Thanks

Soldato
I think rather than DATE_FORMAT is is after the format you wish the date to be displayed, this can be done by using the following page as a reference PHP Date

so a format of: l, jS F Y
would show a date like: Saturday, 14th June 2008

Associate
OP
Thanks for your message Jonny_No2 - I have looked at that manual but still cannot make any sense out of it.

Is there any chance you could give me a brief example of code to explain?

Thanks very much

Soldato
I am not that hot on coding in mySQL but based on what you have said above the code below should hopefully give the output you are looking for, i.e. 20th

$events = @mysql_query('SELECT jS(StartDate, '%d'), EndDate, EventTitle FROM events WHERE StartDate >= NOW()');

this is because PHP will reference the j to the day of the month number
j Day of the month without leading zeros 1 to 31
and S will put in the 'th' or whatever else is relevant
S English ordinal suffix for the day of the month, 2 characters st, nd, rd or th. Works well with j

Sorry if this doesn't help much.

Associate
OP
Thats great thanks guys - decided to go with the PHP formatting of the date using strtotime.

Thanks again

Edit: Any ideas how I can do the reverse? i.e when putting a value (e.g. 24th August 2008) into a MySQL database format (2008-08-24?)

Soldato
Any ideas how I can do the reverse? i.e when putting a value (e.g. 24th August 2008) into a MySQL database format (2008-08-24?)

You'd probably need to write a script to convert "24th August 2008" into "2008-08-24". Why do you need to do that, though? I should expect there's a nicer way to do it that doesn't involve 'unformatting' a date.

Man of Honour
You'd probably need to write a script to convert "24th August 2008" into "2008-08-24". Why do you need to do that, though? I should expect there's a nicer way to do it that doesn't involve 'unformatting' a date.
Oops, misread. MySQL's str_to_date() function will do all this for you :)

It's amazing how many people must not have read the MySQL manual and will do absolutely absurd things to work with dates. Even popular commercial billing scripts!

Back
Top Bottom