Phycho (1960) - 'Shower Scene' copied in what films?

Soldato
I'm just thinking about the shower scene in Hitchcock's version, and I know it's been copied, reproduced etc but for my media studies I'm looking through the IMDB list as to what exact films have clearly copied / referenced that scene just for a bit of knowledge? Thanks if you know of any.

:)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
One that came instantly to mind was the one from National Lampoon's Vacation. Where Chevy Chase angles the shampoo bottle so the shadow looks like a knife as he creeps up on his wife in the shower. I'm sure there are more sophisticated references though!

Soldato
OP
lol, it doesn't have to be a 'shower scene' it can just be the imagery of the knife in the shadow with the shriek of a woman, everyone says it's been copied to death but no-one can ever mention any films related to it, which is just what i'm thinking about now. :)

Soldato
How about the bath scene in Nightmare on elm street?

There's also a scene but I forget which film, a guy get's into a bathtub in a not so great looking US apartment, put's a flanel on his face. I think someone tries breaking down the door.

Scream aswell, 'we all go a little crazy' line.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
$loth said:
How about the bath scene in Nightmare on elm street?

There's also a scene but I forget which film, a guy get's into a bathtub in a not so great looking US apartment, put's a flanel on his face. I think someone tries breaking down the door.

Scream aswell, 'we all go a little crazy' line.
Cheers for that; I've just looked at Scream with the Norman Bates line, thanks for the Nightmare on Elm Street reference too. :)

Soldato
Chronos-X said:
I studied film, and I don't get what's so special about that scene. The music's great - but the stabbing actions look like those of a robot.

It's more of a cult reference thing, Psycho landmarked the shower scene as a horror norm. Not to mention being one of the first big name slashers.

[late edit] It was also one of the most popular horror flicks which summed up the type of horror films at the time, that is crime-horrors, you later get films like Cape Fear (1962). It can be seen in Scream, a human killer on the lose who is just a normal guy, the police don't know who it is and are pretty much useless (relfected in Dept. Dwight).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom