Picked up a Roku 3

Caporegime
OP
I got the Netgear readynas 104.

kdhtbsy.jpg

jygjgoM.jpg

It's great on most fronts but there are a few quirks.

Pros

It takes 4 bays
It can install plex in it
It can do link aggregation
It's really quiet, much more quieter than my Drobo, both unit has 1 fan.
It is really well built, it weight probably about 2kg when empty.

Con

Some reason when I turn on the inbuilt antivirus I can't transfer files.
Plex plays some movie, not others. Not sure which as they are all mkv, all difference res, file size. It can decode a 30G 1080p DTS then won't transcode something like 500mb 720p file. It's not a massive problem as for pure NAS use, the until is great value for £180.

I have 4 x 3TB WD reds in mine, running netgear's x-RAID, it's a bit like RAID5.

The netgear is not perfect but it is about £250 less than a 4 bay offering from Synology.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems like that one would be more than enough for my needs, I'm just looking for a way to get a storage server setup as I currently have my media spread across 3 x 2TB and 1 X 3TB external drives, which are all attached to my WDTV Live so ideally looking at a way of setting them up in a RAID system and 'converting' it into one big drive if you get what I mean?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
In the absence of another genuine Roku thread, thought i'd resurrect this one.

Have been streaming with my PS3 for probably 5 years now. Tried using a BD player, but that suffered from stuttering and more recently a Fire Stick,which didn't seem to like my wifi and suffered from regular buffering issues.

Either way, picked up a new Roku 2 over the week (the newer faster one). Seems genuinely good. More responsive on netflix than even my PS3, no buffering (being fair it's ethernet cabled), good image quality and can streaming using plex from my PC. For the money, seems a real no brainer.

Soldato
My daughter used her PS3 for netflix and the like but having bought a Roku for her room, she uses it a lot. I use Plex for our films which is fine on the Roku and she uses NowTV.

I've just bought one for my room. I had an Intel NUC in there but am moving that under the TV in the living room.

Back
Top Bottom