PIMAX 4K UHD Virtual Reality Headset

Associate
I'm dying, waiting for you to get one to report back :)

I love to give feedback, but it's probably not going to happen.

All sources ship from China so it's around 20 days+ delivery unless you don't mind paying custom fees,

One thing I'm not is patient, that includes the delivery time and crappy customer service from the sites I'd prefer not to have to deal with. :(

Associate
Just spotted one for £260.... Might just bite the bullet and accept the custom fee for that price, 7-10 working days for delivery is not that bad either.

Wish me luck. :)

Associate
Anybody got one who can review how it performs currently with Project Cars / Assetto Corsa / ETS2 etc? I've got a Rift but can't get the sensor to work and Oculus support is slower than a slow thing from slowtown, slowvania...considering other options.

Associate
Sweet. Have you used Rift/Vive before?

Yep, I had the Rift with touch controllers.

The SDE always bothered me too much to really enjoy the content, mostly used it for the experience apps and video, the gaming side of it never impressed me at all.

I don't really have the space to make the most of full room tracking, I can't imagine many people do to be honest.

Plus they all made me feel sick eventually, oddly enough I never had that problem with GearVR games.

Associate
Yep, I had the Rift with touch controllers.

The SDE always bothered me too much to really enjoy the content, mostly used it for the experience apps and video, the gaming side of it never impressed me at all.

I don't really have the space to make the most of full room tracking, I can't imagine many people do to be honest.

Plus they all made me feel sick eventually, oddly enough I never had that problem with GearVR games.

Sounds like 1440p upscaled on 4k display could help SDE.

Btw, I'm fairly sure the Pimax is hdmi 1.4 and so won't ever get 4k60 output

Associate
Will do, should receive it within the next few days.

EDIT: Just checked the tracking it's currently in the Isle of wight so should be with me tomorrow probably.

I look forward to your thoughts on the Pimax 4K. I already have an Oculus Rift that I use between 2 computers and have been considering buying the Pimax to use on a 3 dof motion simulator I am in the process of building. It would only really be used for flight and race sims, but I haven't seen many reviews where it gets used just for them.

Associate
Pimax arrived yesterday but I never had much time to use it.

The image quality is very good, for VR video and for detail it's definitely a step up from the Oculus Rift, the SDE is pretty much gone for me although there is a slight pattern visible to the display but it's barely noticeable, also works fine with SteamVR.

The downside, noticeable motion blur if you move around quickly, the head tracking wasn't always smooth and their software is pretty awful, thankfully you don't have to use their software much.

Couldn't figure out how to adjust IPD, I'll play around it more over the next few days but I doubt it would be enjoyable for any fast moving games.

Last edited:
Associate
One thing I've noticed is that the image is quite dark at times, apparently Pimax has a blue filter to protect your eyes. Nice thought but I kind of want to remove it.

IPD is done in the menu

I'm aware of that, the instructions in the beta for that screen were all in Chinese, they've released another version today with English!! :D

Back
Top Bottom