Pimax Artisan

Soldato
So it looks like the Pimax Artisan is actually good. The screen's been described by MRTV as the Index but with a wider field of view.

If they start getting sold on Amazon next year, I might seriously consider picking one up if they can sort out and sell a good enough audio solution but they really have to match the Index's phenomenal build quality and comfort. Not sure if they are up to that but only time will tell.

To anyone who is in the base station eco-system, maybe go for a Pimax Artisan if you're feeling lucky.

Soldato
Pimax? haha, no way. Their software is terrible, their build quality is poor and you expect the Budget version of the current headsets to improve on any of that?

Yes, that's right, the Artisan is the Budget version of the headsets they have out already. But if you want Steam VR tracking with the base stations and the Knuckle controllers then it will cost you as much as the Index. So not really newbie friendly either. If you buy it with the NOLO tracking system and controllers then it's just front facing tracking.

Soldato
I had one of the earliest Pimax 5K+ and had no major issues with it. Build quality was fine and Support was just OK (better than Valve though).

I compared the 5K+ against the Index and came away thinking the Pimax was better IQ due to less glare and wider FoV with similar clarity. I bought Valve Index controllers, now if you want to talk about poor quality (no click at thumb-stick extremes).

The biggest problems Pimax have is over promising on delivery times. Ironically they are the only VR company pushing mainstream advances for now. Oculus are all about low spec HMD and large user base. Valve brought out a HMD one year after Pimax and it still isn't any better and arguably a step back (FoV and glare).

The software is actually very good for the amount of options you have. Brightness, contrast, IP, among others.

The Artisan is not the "budget version" in that is is lower quality. It is the entry level version with a lower FOV of 140 instead of 170. It uses the same HMD casing as the newer and improved Vision range. This allows people with a tighter budget to get a good quality HMD with wider FoV as an option to the Index. If it competes with Index and pushes prices lower then what's not to like?

They offer Pimax Artisan
Pimax 5K SR with OLED screens. An option for those who prefer darker blacks at the expense of SDE
The new Pimax 5K Super. A replacement/upgraded version of their 5K+ with 180Hz
Pimax 8K+. A replacement and upgrade from their now EOL 8K.
Pimax 8KX. Their top of the range enthusiast HMD.

So Pimax will offer 5 HMD for different price brackets and needs. They have already improved on older models and this is a good thing because it means VR tech is being pushed and improved.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm personally so tempted by the 8KX but the price is too much for me for a VR headset given the library and potential compatibility issues.

Soldato
Pimax HMDs are compatible with Steam VR games natively and with Oculus content through their own PiTool interface. I played Lone Echo and Asgard's Wrath with zero problems.

I do have an 8KX on order and to be honest, if I thought Pimax was as bad as claimed above I would have never contemplated ordering one. Like I said my experience from a quality and support perspective has been fine. Their support was better than Valve in my experience but that is hardly a ringing endorsement. :)

Soldato
OP
Pimax HMDs are compatible with Steam VR games natively and with Oculus content through their own PiTool interface. I played Lone Echo and Asgard's Wrath with zero problems.

I do have an 8KX on order and to be honest, if I thought Pimax was as bad as claimed above I would have never contemplated ordering one. Like I said my experience from a quality and support perspective has been fine. Their support was better than Valve in my experience but that is hardly a ringing endorsement. :)

I have no doubt their customser support isn't great but buy on a credit card or via paypal and everything should be fine.

I think two types of users look down on Pimax:
1. Index users
2. Oculus users

From an Index perspective, as you mentioned Valve's customer support is nothing to write home about and in my experience has been very direspectful. 2-3 weeks of messaging back and forth and then the response to send the headset in and an RMA will be processed and delivered at some point with no specific timeline or promise of dates of delivery.

From an Oculus perspective, I mean the Rift S is just a really really low end product when compared to the Artisan or 8KX so sadly I can't look passed it just being jealousy. That also extneded to Index users who would like to think their Shiny new Index would be the best VR has to offer for the next 2-5 years (lol).

Btw I own an Index and a Rift S.

Sadly I can't quite facilitate the funds to the 8KX as my hours in VR is pitifully low.

The main worry I have re: the 8KX is the 75hz limit (bandwith restricted I know). If there was an option or upgrade path for dual display port usage I'd feel a tiny bit more safe... I used 80hz on Rift S for a while and it didn't feel amazing. And the Quest's 72hz feels laggy.

I know you can upscale from an 8K+ resolution @120hz I believe...

Soldato
I ordered my 8KX using credit card, so if they fail to deliver by April I am protected. You are absolutely correct on the type of people who look down on Pimax and it isn't helped by unashamed bias from some of the mainstream VR press. The 8KX got best VR in show at CES 2020 and pretty much any independent testers are claiming the clarity and quality is excellent.

Tested have done a HMD comparison test with the new Half Life Alyx game which was hosted and funded by Valve who setup the entire "test". Would you believe me if I told you the Index "won"? I know, hard to believer right? How anyone can take any such "tests", or the resulting article seriously is beyond me.

Latest info from CES is that 8KX can do 80Hz in 4K native mode and (as you mentioned) 120Hz in upscale mode.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I ordered my 8KX using credit card, so if they fail to deliver by April I am protected. You are absolutely correct on the type of people who look down on Pimax and it isn't helped by unashamed bias from some of the mainstream VR press. The 8KX got best VR in show at CES 2020 and pretty much any independent testers are claiming the clarity and quality is excellent.

Tested have done a HMD comparison test with the new Half Life Alyx game which was hosted and funded by Valve who setup the entire "test". Would you believe me if I told you the Index "won"? I know, hard to believer right? How anyone can take any such "tests", or the resulting article seriously is beyond me.

Latest info from CES is that 8KX can do 80Hz in 4K native mode and (as you mentioned) 120Hz in upscale mode.

I heard it was 75. If they can push it to 80hz, then I personally think that suffices.

The lower persistence panels they're using will probably feel quite nice anyway.

I'm really interested if there are any images comparing native to upscaled mode with super sampling enabled.

Associate
I heard it was 75. If they can push it to 80hz, then I personally think that suffices.

The lower persistence panels they're using will probably feel quite nice anyway.

I'm really interested if there are any images comparing native to upscaled mode with super sampling enabled.

75 htz is a step backwards if you ask me. The thing that i love about the index is the 120 frame rate - its just makes it such a more pleasurable system. I cant do smooth locomotion on my vive as it makes me sick - no problems though on the index

Soldato
OP
75 htz is a step backwards if you ask me. The thing that i love about the index is the 120 frame rate - its just makes it such a more pleasurable system. I cant do smooth locomotion on my vive as it makes me sick - no problems though on the index

90 low persistence is enough for me.

Soldato
As a non-vr expert, how do the resolutions work? I mean 2x 4k screens you will be lucky to get 30fps on a 2080ti wont you? let alone get near a useful amount for 120hz

Back
Top Bottom