Pimax

Associate
Saw a few vids of this new VR headset. Got a 4K display, 110deg fov, dual gyro and no head tracking. Supports Steamvr

Costs £270 with built in headphones, £230 without :eek:

Anyone else know much about out?

OcUK Staff
Yes we have one here, we are considering reselling it, but I am 50/50 on the decision to list it or not because my honest opinion of the product is well its not great.

I can play on a Vive for hours without issue, whereas this thing gives me an instant headache unless I sit still without moving my head which kind of makes the whole VR experience pointless.

On the plus side the image quality is good, but that is where it ends for me. This is why were 50/50 on listing it as we feel the return rate would be very high and as such selling it would be a bad idea.

Soldato
Yes we have one here, we are considering reselling it, but I am 50/50 on the decision to list it or not because my honest opinion of the product is well its not great.

I can play on a Vive for hours without issue, whereas this thing gives me an instant headache unless I sit still without moving my head which kind of makes the whole VR experience pointless.

On the plus side the image quality is good, but that is where it ends for me. This is why were 50/50 on listing it as we feel the return rate would be very high and as such selling it would be a bad idea.

So you think it would be good for just watching films then Gibbo?

Soldato
I'm hoping the Vive Pro will fill the gap until my 8K X is ready in 2019 or whenever it will be. Are Oculus going to step up with a new headset?

The way i see it Oculus were a bit ahead of Vive and now Vive have stepped up to possibly move ahead with the Vive Pro. The next iterations Oculus have coming are the Oculus Go (think upgraded gearvr except without needing the phone probably mid/autum 2018) and Santa Cruz (high end market standalone, wireless and uses inside-out tracking ie no external sensors needed probably mid 2019) Neither of these are direct successors to the CV1, they are going in a different direction...so i think my next headset will be the Vive Pro provided it does have a noticeable display improvement over the Oculus.

Oculus long goal is VR/AR via stylish spectacles.

Soldato
60hz in VR isn't good. You won't be able to use it for long sessions like the Rift and Vive. Good 4k VR is still years away really.

The fact they are already moving on to 8k is silly. The are jumping the gun on resolution when things like tracking are still basic or none existent. Without it, it's not really a VR experience.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
60hz in VR isn't good. You won't be able to use it for long sessions like the Rift and Vive. Good 4k VR is still years away really.

The fact they are already moving on to 8k is silly. The are jumping the gun on resolution when things like tracking are still basic or none existent. Without it, it's not really a VR experience.

Could you please expand on why 60hz isn't any good?
Conscious that my Rift spends most of it's time at 45hz due to ASW "managing" my frame rate, and that feels fine to me.

Soldato
Could you please expand on why 60hz isn't any good?
Conscious that my Rift spends most of it's time at 45hz due to ASW "managing" my frame rate, and that feels fine to me.

ASW interpolates 45hz to 90hz, so that's why it feels fine. There's been a lot of research into this and 90hz is the minimum needed to reduce VR motion sickness.

Associate
ASW interpolates 45hz to 90hz, so that's why it feels fine. There's been a lot of research into this and 90hz is the minimum needed to reduce VR motion sickness.

Well ... "for the majority of people", or something like that. It matters much more when you're new to VR. 90 is a much better experience than 45 though even if you don't get motion sick from it, and 60 wouldn't quite cut it

Soldato

Where are you getting 60hz from? The pimax 5k and 8k are going to be 90hz, even the current prototype is running at 80hz.

Tracking for the 8k is the same hardware as the Vive, steam tracking, you can even use your vive base stations, so again how is the tracking a problem?

Unless you are still talking about the 4k, but then you even said 8k in your post, so I'm confused.

Back
Top Bottom