Pin to Start / Remove from Start

Associate
Is anyone having problems with pinning and removing from start?
I tend to find if I add an app, I have to reboot in order for it to show, and if I remove an app, again I have to reboot to have it removed.

It's becoming frustrating.

Man of Honour
Its been bug reported for >18 months - it usually works in the first 30 seconds or so of booting the OS then is totally random after that.

The whole start menu system is a clunky bug ridden mess - not very flexible to actually use due to a mixture of lack of developer imagination and silly restrictions to make it easier to have the same system work through from desktop to windows phone even if you never have any intention of using windows phone.

Man of Honour
Apps work fine (other than live tile functionality not working more often than it works in that context) - anything else i.e. desktop shortcuts, system shortcuts, etc. is hit and miss if it works or not and some stuff can't even be pinned to it for no apparent reason including things like shortcuts to settings that would be a great feature to have and a reason to move on from older OSes.

Man of Honour
Wouldn't bet on it - I've been filing bug/feature requests or promoting the relevant ones for this and related issues for over a year (and they have like 1000+ people promoting them on the feedback system) and its still a mess.

Soldato
I'm so glad start is back to tiny icons and lots of scrolling the mouse wheel....

Having everything there on one screen instantly was such a pain in the ass....

Man of Honour
I'm so glad start is back to tiny icons and lots of scrolling the mouse wheel....

Having everything there on one screen instantly was such a pain in the ass....

The whole idea (ostensibly) of Windows 10's start system was that you could customise it from a start screen through to a start menu or somewhere in-between depending on what works best for you. Unfortunately the execution is somewhat lacking.

My ideal setup would have been a start menu with 1x row of small icons (~8x wide) for things like settings, windows update/defender, etc. then 1x row of live tiles i.e. a wide one for weather and a 2-3 medium ones for things like calendar/tasks, etc. the below that 4-5 medium sized ones as shortcuts to utility programs like calculator, text editor, character map, etc. that I use fairly frequently but don't want pinned to taskbar - I try not to clutter it up with utility programs. But due to a mixture of limited imagination and apparently considerations for Windows Phone its not possible to do it how I want.

No scrolling through tiny icons or a fullscreen start intruding in my work flow, etc.

Soldato
The whole idea (ostensibly) of Windows 10's start system was that you could customise it from a start screen through to a start menu or somewhere in-between depending on what works best for you. Unfortunately the execution is somewhat lacking.

My ideal setup would have been a start menu with 1x row of small icons (~8x wide) for things like settings, windows update/defender, etc. then 1x row of live tiles i.e. a wide one for weather and a 2-3 medium ones for things like calendar/tasks, etc. the below that 4-5 medium sized ones as shortcuts to utility programs like calculator, text editor, character map, etc. that I use fairly frequently but don't want pinned to taskbar - I try not to clutter it up with utility programs. But due to a mixture of limited imagination and apparently considerations for Windows Phone its not possible to do it how I want.

No scrolling through tiny icons or a fullscreen start intruding in my work flow, etc.

What? You mean they rejected your idea for Windows 10 Rroff Edition :rolleyes::D

Damn you Microsoft, damn you to hell !

Man of Honour
^^ Its not me - loads of people complaining since they removed the ability to do 4x medium tiles wide - from a desktop power user perspective its a useful configuration for a lot of people.

Nothing I'm asking is outside the bounds of a reasonably flexible, scalable system.

If you look at the image that is the heading for this article http://www.computerworld.com/articl...-10-preview-up-to-date-or-face-a-dead-pc.html its a popular type of configuration but doesn't seem to be possible any more - also looks like they've removed the ability to jump between a fullscreen start screen and the start menu on the fly and put the option several layers into the control panel :( which while I didn't have much use for generally can be quite useful at times - I guess they expect people to wholesale switch between tablet mode on/off.

Someone elses post about it http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...le-group/dbd45679-671d-40a5-9451-0fb959b1044d I don't want 2x 4 wide columns myself - just the one and with a bit of a different configuration - 3 distinct rows of specific functionality.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
^^ Desktop shortcuts or apps? I haven't seen a single build (over a few different systems) so far where pinning desktop/system shortcuts/programs works reliably and/or in a bug free manner.

Man of Honour
EDIT: Oh in terms of pinning stuff - you can eventually get desktop shortcuts to show on the right hand side but its unreliable in operation and there is some stuff that would be useful to pin there that simply can't.

In terms of layout I clear the left hand side and minimise it as much as possible.

What I want is to be able to have the start menu 4 medium tiles wide (so basically 2 medium tiles less wide than in your image) - it used to be possible and a very useful setup for a lot of people including myself - now you can only do it with a really clunky setup that looks very messy and loads of empty space.

The word from MS is that it is a deliberate design decision :|

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom