Pirate DVDs (I think!)

Soldato
Not sure where to put this so in GD it goes.

Basically I bought some DVDs online - the price was only a few pounds less than the rainforest place, and now I have received them they are from China and have Chinese markings on the DVD (around the centre hole). However the back looks like a normal DVD, the print on the front of the disk is good, and they all play. However the box was a little crap and the disk presentation is in wallets.

So I'm guessing they are pirate DVDs, however I'm not going to post them back to China to get a refund - because I doubt there is any chance of that happening. Or is it possible that they are simply DVDs meant for the chinese market but are genuine?

If necessary, what can I do to get my money back, without returning the DVDs? I don't mind handing them over to authorities though. I will get on the phone to the CAB on Monday, but would like some advance tips from OCuk :)

Thanks

Daven

Soldato
Sure its not just an Asian version? NTSC

I bought a DVD of ebay once think it was Slumdog Millionaire, it came in a different box, I thought it was fake at first, but then I searched online and found out that the dark box was the asian version, otherwise it worked fine.

Even though the ebay seller had the wrong picture and didn't mention it wasn't PAL, still gave positive feedback.

Since you mention them being in wallets it does sound like a pirated DVD

Associate
Just as a note, Chinese DVDs often do come in disc wallets, even those you buy in proper high street chains, and will frequently have the English soundtrack too. It's perfectly possible that they're genuine and from the Chinese market, though I honestly got fake ones over there that looked more "real" than the official retail versions :p

Soldato
Just as a note, Chinese DVDs often do come in disc wallets, even those you buy in proper high street chains, and will frequently have the English soundtrack too. It's perfectly possible that they're genuine and from the Chinese market, though I honestly got fake ones over there that looked more "real" than the official retail versions :p

This was something that surprised me while I was over there as well, first I was like :eek: then I was :o

Then I bought a scorpion on a skewer

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Chinese Silvers, very common. A few sellers on ebay selling box sets suspiciously cheaply are fakes. Often dvd covers have comedy spelling on them.

Back
Top Bottom