Pitfalls of late E65/early F01 730d ?

Man of Honour
There is no reason to buy an E65 if you can afford a good F01 IMHO. Both are potentially complex moneypits depending on budget so you might as well have the modern one. You'll get the newer N57 engine too.

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;28343083 said:
There is no reason to buy an E65 if you can afford a good F01 IMHO. Both are potentially complex moneypits depending on budget so you might as well have the modern one. You'll get the newer N57 engine too.

Thanks mr fox

Whilst no specific budget in mind I don't want to spend more than about 9
Which looking around will get a Big mileage f01
Or a lower mileage e65

I would like one with rear entertainment, so that will narrow the search, but are there any obvious things to look out for?
Bear in Mind know not a lot about bmw

I don't even understand the things like nav options and seat options lol

Man of Honour
£9k isnt going to get an F01 that isn't a total shed, infact does it even buy a shed?

This is very much E65 territory.

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;28343192 said:
£9k isnt going to get an F01 that isn't a total shed, infact does it even buy a shed?

This is very much E65 territory.

Haha thanks mate
As suspected

Wi keep on looking
At the moment it's just an idea floating around in my head.

Need to go have a good look for one locally really
To see if I like it!

Associate
OP
This sounds like the start of a very bad story to me.

Really? How so? Does one have to be encyclopaedic in knowledge about every aspect of a car to make a choice about owning one?

I mean the difference in types of nav etc
More like a lack of knowledge of bmw special naming conventions etc.

Why not answer the query instead of reading more into a post than is actually there?

Soldato
Really? How so? Does one have to be encyclopaedic in knowledge about every aspect of a car to make a choice about owning one?

I mean the difference in types of nav etc
More like a lack of knowledge of bmw special naming conventions etc.

Why not answer the query instead of reading more into a post than is actually there?

Because this is OCUK!
The good news is that there are some helpful people here (somewhere)

Caporegime
Because this is OCUK!
The good news is that there are some helpful people here (somewhere)

Ah, much like yourself, who has come into this very thread to offer all your hard won advice!

Sorry who are you again?

Because most people who see these cars for sale won't look past the purchase price, 9k is cheap innit, Ford Focus money.

What sort of cash do you have set aside or are prepared to spend maintaining the car, remembering it was once a 60k plus car not a 16k Ford Focus.

I'd say 'not knowing much about BMW' was the textbox definition of an 'unhappy ending'.

Soldato
Ah, much like yourself, who has come into this very thread to offer all your hard won advice!

Sorry who are you again?

I may not bring advice, but I did bring support and understanding in my post ;)
What did this comment offer exactly ?
I am Massive Jim, who are you ? oh actually doesn't matter I can see your forum name next to your post ;)

Associate
OP

Sorry who are you again?

Because most people who see these cars for sale won't look past the purchase price, 9k is cheap innit, Ford Focus money.

What sort of cash do you have set aside or are prepared to spend maintaining the car, remembering it was once a 60k plus car not a 16k Ford Focus.

I'd say 'not knowing much about BMW' was the textbox definition of an 'unhappy ending'.
Whilst my personal finances are technically irrelevant, I could if so WISHED spend a hell of a lot more on a car, but choose not to.

Please do not take my statement of not knowing much as a definitive statement about all things bmw
Mechanically I can deal with almost anything, it's far more bmws daft naming conventions!
For example - business / professional nav
Comfort seats??? Wtf, are all other bmw seats by definition UNcomfortable?
See where I am going with this?

Hence my comment about Mr fox popping in
It's HIS encyclopaedic knowledge I am after

Don
Hey Fakey. Long time no talk.

I wouldn't buy either an E65 or an F01 for that money. E65s are essentally a 13 year old car at this point. They had a facelift in 2006 which gave them better nav and more options but it's still essentially the same car.
I've owned two E65s (a 750i and a 730d) and both were great cars but compared to the F01, they just don't cut it. The interior of the F01 and the infotainment and nav package are just so much better and more modern.
I'd either up the budget by £6k and get an honest, early F01. Or drop the budget and get a tidy 2006 750i with some money left over for repairs.

I wouldn't bother with rear-seat entertainment in an E65. It makes fitting things such as the iPod kit a right pain in the bum. I'd look at getting a couple of cheap Android tablets and the headrest holders for them. You've got everything you need then.

Associate
OP
Hey Fakey. Long time no talk.

I wouldn't buy either an E65 or an F01 for that money. E65s are essentally a 13 year old car at this point. They had a facelift in 2006 which gave them better nav and more options but it's still essentially the same car.
I've owned two E65s (a 750i and a 730d) and both were great cars but compared to the F01, they just don't cut it. The interior of the F01 and the infotainment and nav package are just so much better and more modern.
I'd either up the budget by £6k and get an honest, early F01. Or drop the budget and get a tidy 2006 750i.

Mr Rilot

Thank you!!
It has been a while
Life just gets in the way!

Man of Honour
£9k is a great budget for a nice E65. This is very much 7 Series money - just buy an E65.

The facelift makes the E65 look much nicer and more modern. You can retrofit CIC nav as well quite easily IIRC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom