Pixel 7a in 2024, poor choice?

Soldato
I'm looking at picking up a decent Android phone around £200. I've seen the Pixel 7a brand new for just slightly over that, however I've read mixed things about battery life, which I don't think would be a huge issue for me since I'm not a power user. However, I did read some things about over heating which were a bit off putting.

Is anyone here still using or had a Pixel 7a, if so would you recommend the device?

Cheers

I'm looking at picking up a decent Android phone around £200. I've seen the Pixel 7a brand new for just slightly over that, however I've read mixed things about battery life, which I don't think would be a huge issue for me since I'm not a power user. However, I did read some things about over heating which were a bit off putting.

Is anyone here still using or had a Pixel 7a, if so would you recommend the device?

Cheers
I bought my wife a 7a a few months ago as her 5a battery packed up. Absolutely nothing wrong with it that she's picked up so far.

I've got one, had it since December.

Seems fine to me.

It did used to get hot first week or so I had it, but reckon it was doing updates etc in the background, was ok after that.

It's got wireless charging which is a big plus imo as it stops you knackering up the charging port so I try to charge it wirelessly where possible.

Battery life is fine.

P7 series does run noticeably warmer especially if you have bad reception but OK if you aren't going to try and start playing games.

Reactions: KIA

Cheers

Does she like big phones? This is a good deal at £244

Battery life is better compared to the Pixel 7a https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s21_ultra-review-2219p3.php
but you pay for that with a bigger heavier phone

I temporarily had a P6A and a P7A, wouldn't bother tbh
charging rates were abysmal and when you put that in place with **** poor batter life doesn't make for a fun experience.
Both did get quite warm when charging as well
they both definitely felt bargain basement in hand too (a decent Spigen case would help with that)

I temporarily had a P6A and a P7A, wouldn't bother tbh
charging rates were abysmal and when you put that in place with **** poor batter life doesn't make for a fun experience.
Both did get quite warm when charging as well
they both definitely felt bargain basement in hand too (a decent Spigen case would help with that)

Yeah, from reading around I was going to plan on extending the budget to get a Pixel 8a but it seems like some of those suffer similar issues... Really not sure what to go for

Last edited:
My huaweis were always awesome, only moved away from them as they lost the googleverse

Now Sat happy with an S24 and me brother has had no real bother with the S20 onwards

If yer happy with a slightly different OS look then there's still some pretty decent handset from the likes of Redmi and xiaomi

Yeah, from reading around I was going to plan on extending the budget to get a Pixel 8a but it seems like some of those suffer similar issues... Really not sure what to go for
I'm happy with my 8a's battery life, and it's fine in all other aspects EXCEPT the painfully slow charging.

I've had to adjust my charging habits to fit around it. I might end up giving it to my son and getting something more appropriate purely because of the slow charging.

My huaweis were always awesome, only moved away from them as they lost the googleverse

Now Sat happy with an S24 and me brother has had no real bother with the S20 onwards

If yer happy with a slightly different OS look then there's still some pretty decent handset from the likes of Redmi and xiaomi

I've seen a brand called Nothing Phone... Seem to be pretty well reviewed and around £300-£400. I should look in to it more, but you're right about Xiaomis, they have some fantastic budget phones

I'm happy with my 8a's battery life, and it's fine in all other aspects EXCEPT the painfully slow charging.

I've had to adjust my charging habits to fit around it. I might end up giving it to my son and getting something more appropriate purely because of the slow charging.

Good to know. Being able to charge quickly every now and then is pretty important to me, so I'll pass on the 8a too... thanks

I've got an 8a and I haven't noticed painfully slow charging tbh? 18W isn't exactly lightning fast, but it can do 60% in an hour and a full charge in just over 2?

I've got an 8a and I haven't noticed painfully slow charging tbh? 18W isn't exactly lightning fast, but it can do 60% in an hour and a full charge in just over 2?
I could charge my previous S21 from 20% to 80% in about 45 minutes, but my 8a takes an hour and a half. It's well under 1% per minute, whereas the S21 was faster than 1% per minute.

I had a Pixel 7a and didn't get on with it. Poor battety life, often had difficulty picking up a signal, and I hated some elements if the interface so I paid for a different one. I also wanted an earphone socket. Camera was decent though.

Got rid of it and got Moto G54 5g for half the price, and it does everything I need.

Reactions: KIA
Thanks for all the input and feedback guys, I do appreciate it

It's a really tough one, I'm also in two minds about extending the budget and getting either an S24 or an iPhone 15. Taking good snaps is pretty important for me since I do a lot of dog walks, I know in terms of camera the 8a is going to be the best choice, but reading mixed things about them online with various issues is really off putting...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input and feedback guys, I do appreciate it

It's a really tough one, I'm also in two minds about extending the budget and getting either an S24 or an iPhone 15. Taking good snaps is pretty important for me since I do a lot of dog walks, I know in terms of camera the 8a is going to be the best choice, but reading mixed things about them online with various issues is really off putting...

The big S21 I posted above will take equal/better pictures compared to the S24, also note all modern Samsung's are not great when there is movement in the picture. The iPhone or Pixel will be better when you have children running around in the frame.

I have a Pixel 7a and an S23.

The pixel i use for travel and its a far better phone with good battery life, I use it for travel and used to use large battery chinese phones until the play store issues emerged. The pixel can go a full day without charging and a lot of use. Only downside is it does have relatively slow charging these days. As opposed to my Samsung which the battery life is terrible on as have all the previous Samsungs i have had.

Back
Top Bottom