Pixel art/animation software - recommendations.

Soldato
My son is starting to show a real aptitude/interested in programming and it's associated software.

He requires software for creating pixel art - I've come across Aseprite (nice and cheap) - but wondering if there's a better option out there?

He's use to using GIMP and Photoshop Elements at present - but i'm happy to invest more into the above if there's an alternative that will benefit him (or free if they're better). From a token browse Aseprite seems to be well received - and could well be all that he needs? But as this will be his 'go to' program i'm looking for guidance as to what would best help him develop his skills/ease of use/tools (if there is one).

I think in a year or two i'll be upgrading to Photoshop (full) if he's still hooked...

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys - he seems to have a clear idea what he expects/wants from the application, so i'll get him to have look at suggestions.

Soldato
OP
Might be worth looking for some game dev forums, or maybe reddit, lots of people with experience to ask there :)
Thanks, good idea - i'll take a look and guide him there too.

He's suddenly become very vocal about what he thinks he requires from this program - it's certainly piqued his interest in adding sprites to future projects (it's great).

Associate
Have you looked at piskel? It's entirely online though iirc there is also a client, but it's free and can be used to make simple animated sprites, the guys i teach used it in the game dev unit and found it fairly good!

Soldato
OP
Have you looked at piskel? It's entirely online though iirc there is also a client, but it's free and can be used to make simple animated sprites, the guys i teach used it in the game dev unit and found it fairly good!
Thanks @akaFonzie - I'll mention this to him tomorrow as he could this when using other systems at school (if their firewall will allow it).

I've just bought him Asesprite - as the Reddit sub forum were very positive - so he'll have that to experiment with tomorrow.

Thanks all for your input.

Back
Top Bottom