Planars for gaming?

Associate
Hey all, looking for new phones. Mainly for fps gaming and music/movies 2nd.

Would like a set of planars and budget is around the 400 mark. I looked into the audeze mobius, but don't want wireless phones tbh. Any advice appreciated.

Soldato
Hey all, looking for new phones. Mainly for fps gaming and music/movies 2nd.

Would like a set of planars and budget is around the 400 mark. I looked into the audeze mobius, but don't want wireless phones tbh. Any advice appreciated.

Hi, Gaming wise they have to be wired anyway as you cant use the mic when wireless gaming (I think a bit of a design flaw) Though you can take a telephone call whilst gaming.

Dunno if there are any other planars with a mic so you'll have to budget for a stand alone mic too. The Mobius has it's own AMP and DAC (Specced by Audeze) built in so depending on what other brand you go for you MAY have to budget for an AMP also if they need driving.

As you are FPS then the Mobius are very good for positional audio. You can bind head movements to keys (nod for reload) With the bluetooth you will be able to sit away without a wire from your TV for movies if you have a bluetooth TV. Plus you have quite a few EQ presets to choose from too depending on the type of music you listen to also specced by Audeze Sound engineers. It has 7.1 and the 3D audio really makes the music stand out. They go loud too. Gaming I always use it wired if you use VOIP for comms. Only time I use it bluetooth is cooking in the kitchen, they go loud. You can even enter you own head measurements into the software to personalize the positional accuracy of the sound so no cross over depending on a wide or narrow bonce. The firmware and the APP is updated periodically also.

They are a very good all in one. I am biased though :) There is an mobius thread here somewhere and the one over at headfi.org is much more extensive.

Only other planars I can think of under £400 are Hifiman and Fostex.

What you plugging them into,decent onboard sound, dedicated soundcard or headphone amp?

Soldato
Another recommendation here for the Audeze Mobius. They aren't just wireless, they sound best when connected by USB.

I see your primary use is for gaming and then movies and music second. Well, I bought The Mobius primarily for gaming, and they are great at it, but after having them for a while my main use is movies. They are amazing for movies.

Associate
OP
Hey guys thanks for replies, I use a schit stack to drive denon ah d600's, but fancied something a bit more upmarket. I also use a mod mic but it wouldn't bother me if the phones had an in built mic.

I was looking at hifimans, but assumed the 400i's, being the budget version. Would be just that budget and maybe able to get more for the money.

Another note is they need to be closed back, does anybody have the 400i's that could give honest advice on them, thanks.

Soldato
Hey guys thanks for replies, I use a schit stack to drive denon ah d600's, but fancied something a bit more upmarket. I also use a mod mic but it wouldn't bother me if the phones had an in built mic.

I was looking at hifimans, but assumed the 400i's, being the budget version. Would be just that budget and maybe able to get more for the money.

Another note is they need to be closed back, does anybody have the 400i's that could give honest advice on them, thanks.

If gaming is your priority then the Hifiman 400i's would be a lot worse than the Mobius.

the mic in the mobius is detachable so you can use your modmic if you want.

Soldato

Other's have given good advice. however, you are aware the he400i are open back, not closed back, but first sentence in last paragraph says they must be closed back?

Soldato
HyperX also does a gaming headset using Planars. They aren't as comfortable as the Mobius and they don't offer the same isolation so in your situation I would get the Mobius.

Associate
OP
Other's have given good advice. however, you are aware the he400i are open back, not closed back, but first sentence in last paragraph says they must be closed back?
Yea that's why I asked on an opinion as some open headphones can isolate the sound more than others.

Soldato
Yea that's why I asked on an opinion as some open headphones can isolate the sound more than others.

Ahh right, not used the 400i, but have 4xx from massdrop and they leak and things are fairly audible. Would not have got those at least if looking for any isolation. Not sure how the 400i would fair, but both look broadly similar in design abit with slit tweaks.

Associate
Currently use Tin P1's, although they are IEM planars, gaming is amazing on them. But I'm looking at the new Monoprice M1070 for my next upgrade and right in your pricing ball park. I use an XLR condenser mic on an arm so straight audiophile headphones are an option gaming wise.

doc

doc

Associate
I have a few high end headphones and USB DACs. Audeze are still my go to headphones for gaming.

They have to be wired to get all the functions, they won't do multi channel over wireless. Planars will automatically sound like the best headphones you ever heard, except for a few high ends. If you want multi channel with great positional audio planar magnetics, there's not really any other choice at that price point.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
OPPO PM3, been using them for a couple of years, cant fault the sound

Was tempted to try a pair, how do you find the sound isolation, details and sound stage on them?

Never tried Planars before but come from Senn 650, AKG K550 series myself.

doc

doc

Associate
Does anybody run the mobius from an external amp dac? That can pitch thanks.

Why would you want to?

Planars can be driven well from your phone and only need at most an entry level DAC like a dragonfly to sound great.

If used on USB, Mobius are the complete package, you won't improve their sound by using an external DAC.

Soldato
Does anybody run the mobius from an external amp dac? That can pitch thanks.

You don't need an external AMP, the mobius has one inbuilt that is perfectly matched to the headphones.

EDIT: They actually advise you not to use an AMP with the Mobius.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As I recently purchased the stack I don't think the mobius is the way to go. Thanks for suggestions, but think I will keep looking.

Back
Top Bottom