Plane on a treadmill question

Soldato
You know those rubber ring river rapid rides at theme parks where you have to step in/out of the boat on a big rotating platform? Imagine the feeling you get when stepping on/off that rotating platform multiplied by 100...

Soldato
Physics always made my mind explode. Never could get it.

I lost interest at school when we did a 'tiker tape' exercise involving pushing a minature car down a slope. My primitive brain just didnt get it.

I am the sort of guy that cant explain how a boat works, although I obviously know that it does.

Never too late to learn. A boat works because it's mostly filled with nothing and water weighs more than "nothing". So when you have water and a boat in the same place the water goes on the bottom and the boat goes on the top.

Soldato
What if he were to jump off the train as high as possible in the opposite direction, would it compensate much do you think?
Maybe if he had a coat on he could open it, playground batman styley.....like an air-brake! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes but those motorbike riders have leathers and varipus ceramic and kevlar reinforced fabrics, airbags, shock absorbing armour and helmets

You arent talking a potential of skin you are talking about loosing inches deep of skin, fat, muscle and bone not to mention severe burns.

I came off a bike at only 40mph after a rear wheel blow out. I was wearing two layers of jeans, leather boots and jacket. I had substantial and painful gravel rash up my legs, back and arm.

The lucky part, it was before helmets were compulsory and I was not wearing one, also i was going a lot faster a bit earlier on.

Soldato
What if he were to jump off the train as high as possible in the opposite direction, would it compensate much do you think?
Maybe if he had a coat on he could open it, playground batman styley.....like an air-brake! :)

If you absolutely had to jump from a speeding train for some reason (bomb, heading for cliff, Jeremy Corbyn needs your seat...), getting hold of a sheet and wrapping two corners around each wrist before dangling it out of the doorway or window to inflate would probably be your best chance of survival.

Yes, MacGuyver was my childhood crush.

Man of Honour

Height would make it worse. If he jumped as fast as he could in the opposite direction it would compensate a bit. A very small bit. He'd still leave the train moving at about 90mph relative to the ground.

The obvious solution! But what if he was only wearing a jacket? This is why people should always wear a full length coat. :)

Soldato
Height would make it worse. If he jumped as fast as he could in the opposite direction it would compensate a bit. A very small bit. He'd still leave the train moving at about 90mph relative to the ground.[\quote]
Really? Surely the extra hang time would allow him to slow down before hitting the ground.

The obvious solution! But what if he was only wearing a jacket? This is why people should always wear a full length coat. :)
Lmao.....like always wear clean underwear, in case you get hit by a bus? :p

Man of Honour
Really? Surely the extra hang time would allow him to slow down before hitting the ground.

That's a point. It would reduce their horizontal component of velocity, which would make things better. On the other hand, the extra height would mean that they'd have a higher vertical component of velocity when they hit the ground, which would make things worse. Better or worse overall? I'm not sure.

Caporegime
That's a point. It would reduce their horizontal component of velocity, which would make things better. On the other hand, the extra height would mean that they'd have a higher vertical component of velocity when they hit the ground, which would make things worse. Better or worse overall? I'm not sure.

I think the key would be to not land on your feet or aide but to face the direction the train is facing (as much as you can) and aim to land with your head facing direction of travel and belly/back flop onto the ground so you slide without rolling

Back
Top Bottom