Plane Spotters / Flight Radar Thread

Soldato
Anyone know if they publish incident reports? I was on UA934 yesterday and we had to do a go around at 800ft as another aircraft was on the runway. I’ve experienced a go around before but this one was a lot more intense. Very steep climbs, sudden levelling out and very high angle banking. I’ve only experienced similar when I was doing flight test courses at Cranfield university. They really threw the aircraft around to get it out of danger. Pulled a lot of g’s.

Soldato
Anyone know if they publish incident reports? I was on UA934 yesterday and we had to do a go around at 800ft as another aircraft was on the runway. I’ve experienced a go around before but this one was a lot more intense. Very steep climbs, sudden levelling out and very high angle banking. I’ve only experienced similar when I was doing flight test courses at Cranfield university. They really threw the aircraft around to get it out of danger. Pulled a lot of g’s.

Not sure where the info comes from but avherald.com is the one I read. But doubt it covers everything. Not sure what constitutes needing reporting or not.

Soldato
Agree that http://avherald.com is good for that sort of thing. They will report on accidents/crashes/incidents and the publication of official investigation reports.

To be classed as an incident and reported the event that caused the go around would have to be deemed a significant safety risk. E.g. runway incursion or critical loss of separation etc.

A standard missed approach due to unstable descent at decision altitude or separation getting a little tight won't be reported anywhere to my knowledge.

Go arounds are usually done at full or very close to full power but obviously you know that and it sounds like this might have been particularly uncomfortable so it might turn up depending on the cause.

Edit: didn't see the bit about it being due to an aircraft on the runway. It probably depends on whether that aircraft was just slow to roll and the go around was for separation or if the aircraft in question wrongly entered the runway whilst you were on final approach. As I understand it a runway incursion would need to be reported and documented and AV Herald is one of the places it might pop up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Agree that http://avherald.com is good for that sort of thing. They will report on accidents/crashes/incidents and the publication of official investigation reports.

To be classed as an incident and reported the event that caused the go around would have to be deemed a significant safety risk. E.g. runway incursion or critical loss of separation etc.

A standard missed approach due to unstable descent at decision altitude or separation getting a little tight won't be reported anywhere to my knowledge.

Go arounds are usually done at full or very close to full power but obviously you know that and it sounds like this might have been particularly uncomfortable so it might turn up depending on the cause.
The cause was due to another aircraft on the runway. We were very close to landing. I saw someone come onto the aircraft after and tell the pilots they had to leave to be spoken to. Hopefully something gets reported. Would be very interesting to read what happened.

Soldato
The cause was due to another aircraft on the runway. We were very close to landing. I saw someone come onto the aircraft after and tell the pilots they had to leave to be spoken to. Hopefully something gets reported. Would be very interesting to read what happened.

Yes sorry I missed that originally. See my edit above.

It sounds like a runway incursion or similar based on that conversation with the pilots. Assume that's the impression you had?

Man of Honour
If the event falls within the criteria of the Mandatory Occurrence Reporting scheme, it will go to the CAA and will therefore be available via a FOI request. Such reports are not actively published in the public domain.

Sounds like a standard missed approach though, which at Heathrow stops at 3000ft. Climbing at full steam and trying to level off at 3000ft is challenging in a modern twin jet, and most actually bust through the altitude.

Associate
Just wondering if anyone in the North Yorkshire or North east areas on here who feed directly to the likes of FlightAware make there radar pages freely available like neodude does?

Soldato
I've had an RTL2832U sitting around since February and I've finally found time to sit down and have a play. I've only mounted it in the garage rafters so far with just the supplied antenna and even so, it seems to be picking up 50 odd planes which i'm sending through to piaware.

How do I send my data through to multiple sites? I'd quite like to send to flightradar24 as well...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4bz4y8wufhyyov/piaware.png?dl=0

Associate
I've had an RTL2832U sitting around since February and I've finally found time to sit down and have a play. I've only mounted it in the garage rafters so far with just the supplied antenna and even so, it seems to be picking up 50 odd planes which i'm sending through to piaware.

How do I send my data through to multiple sites? I'd quite like to send to flightradar24 as well...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4bz4y8wufhyyov/piaware.png?dl=0

https://www.flightradar24.com/share-your-data Maybe this is of some help.

Commissario
Massive bump here.

I've installed a new receiver for my local amateur radio group which is giving seriously impressive results.

Here's a screenshot of the Skyview map, just a few minutes after going live this weekend.

6WLNmBK.jpeg

That's nearly 400 aircraft at a data rate of 2,000 messages/second!

Commissario
I've been able to configure a live feed to the receiver above which can be seen here.

Also, I've consolidated my two own receivers into a single VRS feed that you can see here although that's only showing the aircraft from the receiver in my loft at the moment as I took down the external one to rebuild at the weekend.

Associate
Having just been pointed to this topic (thanks Feek) I feel the need to move my Pi and aerial, and possibly make a home brew one. I'm only using the TV stick aerial that came with the RTL dongle. Been running mine for a couple of years now, so I suspect it could all do with a fettle. What's the difference between the various dump1090 forks, is there a preferred one if one wants to feed multiple destinations? I do FA and FR24 just now.

Commissario
Very little difference between them. I started with mutability but have ended up on fa.

Rather than use the Piaware image, I now start with Stretch Lite and then just install the packages.
From a naked stretch lite:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
wget http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_3.7.1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i piaware-repository_3.7.1_all.deb
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install piaware
sudo apt-get install piaware-web
sudo apt-get install dump1090-fa

If you want to keep your existing FlightAware feeder, you just need to insert the feeder code here where xxxxx is your ID:

Code:
sudo piaware-config feeder-id xxxxx

There's a useful guide to adding additional feeders here. I'm uploading to FA, FR24, PlaneFinder and ADSB Exchange.

Associate
Maybe for the software but I want to make an aerial to see if I can improve my range, it's nothing special at the moment :( Not sure whether to get one of the those Filter/Preamps you mention in this topic and on your blog (interesting stuff to read there too)

Commissario
Grab a FlightAware Pro Stick Plus, it has the LNA/filter built in and works perfectly well. My outdoor receiver was using one of those until a fortnight ago and it was always in the top five receivers in the UK on the FlightAware stats page.

/edit - I highly recommend searching for COL1090/5-H on eBay for a really good aerial. We use one of those at the radio club site and it's cheap.

Back
Top Bottom